Problem with 6800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, seems that my gfx is broke! Yesterday when i was in windows i suddenly got alot of artifacts. Screen went away and i rebooted. After windows load screen when windows login comes up i got same artifacts. You cant see anything at all. So rebooted again in vga mode and now i could login without artifacts. But as soon i try to login in ordinary way i get artifacts. I flashed the gpu just to see if it would solve the problem but it didnt. Tried the gfx in a friends computer but it didnt work either(work in vga mode but not ordinary). The card have been working flawless over a year. I havent change anything. So i just wonder if someone got this problem before, that the card works in vga mode but not anything else? :confused:

Thx!

/Marcus

Artifacts on the screen might relate to memory corruption.
Since the card has been working for a year and now it doesn't work properly in another computer, either, overclocking and software problems are out of the picture (unless you're both using the same drivers, then it's a possibility).

It seems to be a hardware problem, but it could be pretty much anything. Have you changed your drivers or flashed the card before the problems began? Is the fan on the card still working? Is it physically intact?

Vaerilis said:
Artifacts on the screen might relate to memory corruption.
Since the card has been working for a year and now it doesn't work properly in another computer, either, overclocking and software problems are out of the picture (unless you're both using the same drivers, then it's a possibility).

It seems to be a hardware problem, but it could be pretty much anything. Have you changed your drivers or flashed the card before the problems began? Is the fan on the card still working? Is it physically intact?

Yes when i bought the computer i overclocked alot, both cpu, memory and the gpu. Tried differents bios for the gpu with higher volt etc. Was thinking about the drivers too, but if i remember correct i installed the new drivers after the problems began.

The increase in voltage may have had some negative effects and it would make perfect sense if the card stopped functioning entirely, but that's not the case. Still, it may be the cause of your problems.
It is possible that the two things are unrelated and the card simply failed due to something we don't know, though.
It's a shot in the dark, but try changing the drivers, there is a slight chance that it will help.

Vaerilis said:
The increase in voltage may have had some negative effects and it would make perfect sense if the card stopped functioning entirely, but that's not the case. Still, it may be the cause of your problems.
It is possible that the two things are unrelated and the card simply failed due to something we don't know, though.
It's a shot in the dark, but try changing the drivers, there is a slight chance that it will help.

Just tried. Installed old 66.81 drivers. As soon as i try to change to 1024*768 and 32 bit the artifacts comes and after short while the screen goes black. Guess its broken?

Artifacts are generally memory related, and my best guess is that the card is broken, then. The last thing worth trying is to downclock the memory somewhat. Though that wouldn't solve anything, just show if it's a memory problem or not.
I think it's beyond repair, but there is a chance that it's some kind of a problem we've never heard about. It's highly doubtful, but possible.

Tried to flash the gpu with slower gpu and memory settings(320/400, orginal 350/500) but i didnt work. Tried everything now it feels. Anyway thx for your ideas. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back