Problem with Add/Remove Programs in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darminato

Well, it seems I've f-ed up my computer. A small niggle but an extremely annoying one in the long run. I was cleaning my computer, deleting empty folders in the Program Files directory (cripes, what a mess) which seems to be the last thing I did before the problems.

It seems now that whenever I click on the "Add/Remove Programs" button, wether on the sidebar of my folders or from the control panel (I'm running windows XP), it gives me an error. Here's what it says:

"Parser Message" (subject line)
Value creation failed " at line 472

and that's all it says. Gee, Microsoft, that's a big help. I've rummaged around the Microsoft website with no help at all. I thought that maybe I could possibly "repair" XP by doing a re-install on top of itself (instead of formatting), but first) I can't find any repair options for itself, most likely because two) I can't find my CD-key for the CD. Thanks, Dell, just hide it somewhere in that pile of junk you call "documentation".

Anyways, if anyone knows how to fix this or has even heard of this, let me know! Any help would be appreciated.

*sighs and dives back into the paperwork for his CD-key*

-Aaron

Many newer laptops have the cdkey on the bottom of the computer and many desktops have the cdkey somewhere on the outside. Not sure about Dells though.

I might be wrong, but I do not think you need the CDKEY to repair your XP. You can repair (or should be able) by booting from the XP CD and basically "reinstalling" it. When asked whether you would like to install Windows XP or repair using the recovery console, choose "Install Windows XP". Reparing through the recovery console isn't going to do much good for you.

You will be taken through the usual process to install XP, but when you are given the action to Install a new XP or Repair the old one - You hit the nail on the head.

If you are prompted to press "L" to delete/overtwrite your Windows directory - HOLD IT - You did something wrong and should not continue.

Afterwards, you should be greeted with the typical XP installation and it will appear to reinstall XP (which is basically does). It reinstalls all of your drivers and system files, but keeping most of your files and settings intact.

Alright, cool, I'll try that tomorrow when I get home. Wow, this was a pretty quick response, considering it's about midnight here and the response seems to be about 20 minutes later. That's what I love about the Techspot forums, REALLY fast response rates and very intelligent ones.

You guys rule! :)

-Aaron

Flattery will get you nowhere, but I do accept charitable donations of $5.00 or more. :)

I think the repair is worth a try. It would be much better to get a specific fix (like replacing a file or changing a registry keyor two). Since you already looked though, that is probably not a possiblity.

Sometimes you just gotta hit your computer with the sledgehammer that is XP repair...

While you are repairing, give your computer a swift kick for the Rickster, too.

Add/Remove Programs missing

Hello,

I could really, really use some help.
I just recently reformatted my computer because it was giving me a lot of trouble. One of the problems prior to my reformatting the computer was that whenever I clicked on "add/remove programs" no programs would show up on the screen or the window would freeze up and I'd have to end task. I thought this program might be fixed when I reformatted, but apparently not.
Any thoughts??
THANKS!

it's possible that it's freezing up because either 1) you don't have enough RAM installed or 2) you have a processor failure... download the burn in diagnostic tool and run it, it should tell you if it's a hardware failure, which is what it sounds like to me.

I reckon Darminato got it fixed, seeming he posted this thread 05-05-2003

If you're talking about CJKim117 who posted reply 01-27-2006 well that member made a new post here and got lots of help, followed by more user help replies.

New members should always create a => New Thread, not reply to really old threads, where it's likely they won't get much support ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back