problem with aol/dsl and a linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispudge

my cousin had a network setup in her house using a wired linksys router and everything worked until about a week ago, i guess the router burnt out its about 5-6 years old, and even when i tried to access it through 192.168.1.1, it couldnt even read it thats why i figured its burnt. but with that she bout a new linksys wireless g router, and i tried hooking it up today but with her dsl it is only active when she signs onto aol, its not connected all the time only when she signs on to aol, thats why im trying to figure out what type of connection is it(pppoet,etc.) but i cant figure it out because i cannot access the old router to check the information, but with all the connections the router is searching for it needs a username & password to store so its connected, but they(my cousin which is a girl) said that they dont have a name or they dont know it because it only suppsoed to connect when you sign on to aol with you aol sn, for the life of me i cant figure this **** out, help me out if you need more details reply wit it.

PS oh yea and is it only me who when a girl has aproblem wit a coimputer and u ask her questions about, is it always like talking to a brick wall or a repeater that says I DONT KNOW!

How about calling the kind people at AOL?
If she is paying the bills then the customer number etc should be visible on those.

yeh get in touch with AOL, they will advise you how to set the router up. or get in contact with the routers maker. Be aware that AOL doesn't work with many routers which is why AOL are now bringing out a range of routers designed specifically for AOL connections. Always Off Line

ha, if you expect AOL to be helpful, think again, if you think Linksys will help, keep dreaming. They'll likely both shove you off on the maker of your PC(if you built it yourself, they'll blame you) I know, I deal with this stuff everyday. If you go to Linksys' website, their KB has a few articles on setting up AOL. That will be more help than you'll get from AOL or Linksys support.

Generally, with a Linksys Router(which is what those "AOL Routers" are) You just input the UN and PW for AOL, and set it to dsl(PPPOE)

I have had nothing but good experiance's with linksys tech support
my isp supports there equipment
try to press the reset button in the back there's a little hole use a pin
only problem with that is you will lose all config settings
I take snapshots of my settings after I am done and it all works.

yeh i agree linksys are good.. they are owned by CISCO they are basically the main manufacture in pioneering network technology. BTW Netgear make the routers for AOL from my part of the world. Also when ever I have dealt with any of the networking hardware companies, they have always been very helpfull and support a wide range of ISP's. Also in some cases are sympathetic to those who chose AOL ;) :knock:

Sure, Linksys equipment is good, but their service is horrible. Them being owned by Cisco has nothing to do with them having substandard support. You guys must have gotten lucky because I've been having to deal with the aftermath of Linksys tech support for years. They go in and set up encryption that they know is not supported by the card the customer is trying to use, such as a low budget card and trying to use WPA TKIP on it, or them setting a static IP on the computer to 192.168.1.1 when this is the router's IP, they then tell them that they need to contact the PC manufacturer because the card is bad. Or they set up MAC filtering and don't enter the MAC addresses of some of the computers and again blame it on the cards. Or they simply tell the customers that they can't "configure" their wireless because they don't know how for that card, when all that is required is to use WZC since the particular card doesn't have its own utility.

I've been in this business for over 16yrs and the only support I've found worse than Linksys is Comcast Cable.

ah, respect to that dude. everyone has different experiances and as of yet im to experience bad support from linksys or netgear. although AOL is a different matter, for a start when I rang up not long ago the guy who answered didn't even know what linux was!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back