problem with ati 9550

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats up?

okay today i went to best buy, and bought myself a ati 9550 256 mb ddr ram video card. came home, took out my 9200, uninstalled the 9200 drivers and all that other useless crap, installed the 9550, restarted my comp, installed the 9550 drivers, restarted the comp, and no display came up

is there something wrong with my card, or with the drivers

ps. my system specs: 2400+ amd xp, 512 ddr ram, comp is about 2.5 years old, it has a agp 4x slot

thnx

When you uninstalled the 9200 did you reboot with Standard VGA drivers , and then install the 9550?
If not try it this way, and it might be a good idea to reset your CMOS before installing the new card. (Just make note of BIOs setting first)

BTW Welcome to Techspot

thanks,

yeah i used the ati uninstall thing that you can dl from their website, installed the card, then drivers, restarted and no signal, im thinking its a defective card or drivers, so im gonna go return it today, and hopefully itll fix the problem.

but if that fails what could i do, my computer isnt that old and this card isnt that new, i mean if it was an x800 id understand, but, its not, and im not sure if flashing the bios is going to help that much, any other ideas??

thanks

I did not say Flash the bios ,I said 'reset the CMOS' there is a big difference.The reset returns the Bios to it's factory defaults and thereby giving it a chance to adapt to new hardware.
It is the same as rebooting the computer once with standard vga drivers installed.
You could be right about the card being bad ,but since you haven't filled in your hardware profile I can't tell if there are any conflictswith the Mb.
The only other thing make sure you have cleaned the terminal on the card with an eraser and seated it firmly,check all connections to the moniter.
Good luck

U said that your AGP port was 4x, make sure that your new card is 4x and not 8x cause if your mother board is 4x and your card is 8x you'll have compatibity problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back