Problem with AUDIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAZYGIRL

Hi everyone,
Firstly don't know much about Pc's so please be nice :)
I was having problems with my PC so i wiped XP and installed XP back on, I thought with XP it picks up the audio drives automatically but thats not the case with mine. I then downloaded the audio drivers (K7s8x) and it still does not work, when i go to the control panel it says "no audio devices" IM GOING TO GO CRAZY :)

oh one other thing my soundcard is built within would that have any affect
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

audio

Do you know how to access your BIOS? You need to be sure the onboard audio device is "enabled." On most systems, you press delete or F2 during the POST (motherboard screen or computer type screen) comes up. Then go to "onboard devices," and enable the audio.

Then right-click "my computer," click "manage", then "device manager." If you see any yellow (or red) marks at the sounds and audio devices, right-click them one at a time, and click "update drivers." It will ask if you have a disk, to insert it. If your XP disk came from the computer mfr, insert that. If it didn't, just click "next" without a disk in, and the wizard will search your system to find the drivers, then install them.

If it doesn't find them, I would go through that same process again, then DO insert the XP disk anyway. It will search the disk to find the appropriate drivers.

Hope this helps- if not, post back. Somebody can find the problem. :)

Thanks ,

Went into the bios screen but could not find onboard devices, it had
- PC1 devices power on DISABLED
-PS/2 keyboard power on DISABLED

Would i need to enable any of these????

no

CRAZYGIRL said:
Thanks ,

Went into the bios screen but could not find onboard devices, it had
- PC1 devices power on DISABLED
-PS/2 keyboard power on DISABLED

Would i need to enable any of these????

No, those have to do with "waking up" the system with keyboard or mouse. Are you sure there wasn't any "onboard devices" listed under the "advanced" tab in the BIOS? Anyway, just go to device manager, right-click on your audio device (AC97 or whatever), click "properties, and be sure it is enabled. Once you are sure that it is, go ahead and go through the steps I listed with the driver update wizard. We'll find the bugger! :wave:

Right went back into the bios screen and went into advance and it came up with SPREAD SPECTRUM DISABLED nothing about onboard devices.
While i was on msn it came up with "could not find soundcard" so i think its not even reading the soundcard but i dont understand how this is possible if its built within the motherboard

WHAT SHALL I DO NOW???

that's it

Spread Spectrum is NOT the onboard audio. Please give me your mother board info. If you don't have it, download this: http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/
and it will give you the info. Also, in device manager, what is listed as "audio device?" It should say Realtek something, or AC97, or something like that. :)

Property Value
Manufacturer
Model K7S8X.
Version 3.0
Serial Number 00000000
Chipset Model SiS746 CPU to PCI Bridge
Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)

CPU AMD Athlon XP
Cpu Socket Socket A [Socket-A]
Processor Upgrade
Max CPU Speed 3000 MHz

System Slots 6 PCI

Memory Summary
Capacity 0 MBytes
Location Reserved
Maximum Capacity 384 MBytes
Memory Slots 3
Error Correction 32-bit ECC
Name Physical Memory Array
Use Reserved
Maximum Memory Module Size 128 MBytes

IN MY DEVICE MANAGER - N63A7ASB2344c4

THANKS FOR BEING SO PATIENT :)

Ac97

You have the AC97 Codec. If this board is from a factory build, i.e. Gateway, Dell, etc., go to the mfr's website, and download and install any motherboard updates listed for your board. Be sure it's the right board. The ASRock site does not list your mobo chipset, so I suspect it was built for OEM only. Let me know what you find- I LIED! go here- http://www.asrock.com/support/Download/dl_k7s8x.htm
and download the appropriate drivers. :grinthumb

??

Did you go through the "update driver" routine I listed? Also- go to control panel double-click "sounds and audio devices, audio tab, advanced, and be sure it is set for your speakers correctly (2.1,5.1, etc.) then, also under audio tab, be sure that either CMedia or AC97 is listed in the window as the preferred device. If not, click the drop-down and select it. Then click advanced just underneath the that window, and be sure nothing is muted, and the volumes are up.

Something just occurred to me. Are you meaning that you don't have sound, or that your CD DVD drives are not recognized? That's a whole different ballgame. Any error messages?

Also- do you have the CD that came with the mobo?

Hope this works, I'm runnin out of ideas! :confused:

Thankyou sooo much i've got the audio to work now, in the bios it was under Integrated Peripherals, I enabled that and went through and updated the audio and ITS WORKING :giddy: :giddy: :giddy:

Hewybo firstly like to thankyou for giving me all that advice and being so patient with me and also like to thank Mictlantecuhtli too....

GUYS want to start learning about all this computer stuff where do you think i should start????

here

Start here, and forums like this one (though this one is tops). If you have a question, post it. Don't think that ANY question is dumb, or such nonsense. Everyone here is happy to help, it's why we joined this place. Well, in truth, I joined because, like you, I wanted to learn. And I have.

Just log on, click the subject(s) that interest you, and read the threads. I learned quite a bit before I ever posted. Also, Google it! Just type in a subject, or an item; you'll get lots of places to explore.

Have a GOOD time! :angel:

PS- glad to help- anytime :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back