Problem With Creative SB Live! 5.1 Soundcard (PLEASE HELP!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I bought a used Creative SB Live! 5.1 Soundcard of ebay reason being because i bought a Cambridge Soundworks system for my pc and didnt have a 5.1 soundcard. When the soundcard arrived it didnt have an installation disk just the soundcard, i put the soundcard in a spare PCI slot and turned my pc on it recognized that i had installed new hardware and says new hardware Creative SB Live! but after about a minute of being on the pc it freezes and i had to turn my pc off and take the soundcard out for my pc to work properly. Please Can someone help me i would be very gratefull.

My Pc
Windows XP Home Edition
CPU AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.0GHz)
Motherboard Elite L7VMM
Memory 512 MB DDR RAM - PC2100
Hard Drive 120GB Samsung SpinPoint SV1204H
CD Drive 48x12x48 Liteon LTR-48125S CDR/W
16 x JLMS 166S DVD ROM
Video Card ATI Radeon 9000 128MB + TV Out
Sound Card VIA VT1612A
Speaker Advent stereo powered speakers
Modem Generic Soft 56K modem
Network Card RealTek 8100L (onboard - RTL8139)

Welcome to Techspot.

You probably need to install a driver for the card.
I've heard creative cards need the original install disc to install even to download updates, so you might be out of luck. I don't know for sure, as I haven't used creative soundcards.

Here's where you'd get the driver if you can download it.
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/
But after looking I only see patches, not a full driver.
It says you need " LiveDrvPack.exe " first to install the driver.
I don't know, I'd probably contact the card's seller, or creative and see if you can get it resloved.

Do you have all the latest updates for XP?
I added an old sound blaster live card to my pc last night and windows XP installed the drivers and its running fine.
Dont waste your time by going to the creative website, you will get nothing!
I'm not sure but I'd say service pack 2 has the drivers in it?
Thats assuming you dont have SP2.
I even used the search the online(SP2 has this added option when updating drivers) for a better driver just to see if one was available but it said it could not find a better driver than the one it was using.
good luck...

Hello Multiple and S_P_U_D welcome to Techspot.

Originally quoted by S_P_U_D. Dont waste your time by going to the creative website, you will get nothing!

Could you please explain what you mean by the above comment?

As far as I`m aware the Creative website does contain the latest drivers for Creative`s soundcards.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howard, I spent a bit of time on the site trying to find the right driver for my card which doesnt even come up in their search. Apparently it was shipped in bulk overseas as an OEM product but Creative were pee-ed off when it starting finding its way back into the retail market. Thats why they dont have drivers on their site for this card I think its a CT4830 or something close to that, I cant be bothered to pull the panel off the case to check so dont take the model # as gospel!
Also I dont think they have drivers, only driver upgrades and patches that is why you wont get nothing without the original driver cd for your card.
Thats the info I got , but hey I will stand corrected if I'm not right!
Cheers...

Hi Howard, remembering that Multiple has no disc for his card either, maybe you could point out the actual files on that site that you believe to be the drivers for him?
Regards
Spud

Multiple said:
...says new hardware Creative SB Live! but after about a minute of being on the pc it freezes and i had to turn my pc off and take the soundcard out for my pc to work properly. Please Can someone help me i would be very gratefull.

Freezing your PC probably is not the result of not having the latest drivers. Here's what I think you should try...

• Turn off computer, remove SB Live! and look at the CT model number (should be a little sticker on the card that begins with "CT" followed by 4 numbers)
  • Install the SB Live! card in another PCI slot.
  • Let Windows detect the card (You will need to download the drivers, most likely)
  • 3.) Download the latest SB Live drivers from Creative's website. http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

If there is any question about what SB Live you have, you can look up the CTmodel number using this web page.
http://ask.americas.creative.com/wwenglish/general/Products_List_Audio.htm

Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

I have pretty much the same problem. My brother got a virus
on my computer. So I had to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition SP1,
I have lost the soundcard driver. So I've looked all over for it on the internet.
All I've found is patches. I've tried some of the websites you guys mentioned.
but those don't work. please help!

Multiple, one thing you should do before you install a sound card is to disable your existing onboard sound. You can do this in the BIOS. If you don't, they can conflict and cause problems.

Hi
everybody sorry i haven't been able 2 reply sooner, ive tried the soundcard in a different pci slot and still have the same problem i downloaded a couple of drivers but when i try to install it says i must have the hardware installed, and when it is installed i dont have enough time to install drivers because it freezes after about a minute and ive tried disabling the onboard sound card from the bios and i still have the problem mailpup.
Thanks
Multi

You still dont say if you have the latest XP updates?

1/ If I were you I would remove the card and restore back to a time before you added the card and everything was fine.
2/ Download all the latest XP updates that are available.
3/ Reboot so they can update your system.
4/ Disable your onboard sound.
5/ Reboot, shut down.
6/ Add your card, reboot and XP service pack 2 drivers should run the card? Thats all I done and I had no drivers for my card either!
7/ Good Luck.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back