Problem with DDR 266 FSB Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have a PC with AMD atalon 2000 xp + processer and 256 MB DDR RAM with 266 FSB.
Now i want to upgrade the RAM and brought 512 MB DDR 266 FSB and kept in the second DDR slot of the board.The system is started fine and shown total RAM 738 MB.But the display is not proper.Then i have restarted the system .

From there it is not working ,means not starting with the beap sound.Can you please tell mi the reason .I have a doubt whether the second one i brought (512 MB ) is 266 FSB.Problem with RAM or Board ? .My board supports upto 266 FSB RAM only (AUSUS)

Regards
akuchima

What is your motherboard make/model?

When you take out the new ram, your system can boot up normally?

It may just be that your board isn't happy about working with two different sizes of ram. Try booting up with ONLY the new ram (take the old ram out) and see what happens...

Hi
Now without RAM or with new RAM or with old RAM ,the system is not starting .If i want i will tell u the exact model of AUSUS board.

Thanks for the previous reply

Are you sure you didn't accidentally disconnect something? Re-check your connections on the motherboard. Re-seat all your parts. Something must have come disconnected somewhere.

Please tell us your motherboard make/model.

1. When you computer is off, are there any lights on your motherboard?
2. When you push the power button, what exactly happens? Do the fans spin? Do you hear any beeps?

Hi

Mi board is AUSUS A7N266-VM/SE
When i start my computer ,fans are spinning and light on mother board is glowing ,but no beap sound .

regards
akuchima

With your old 256mb stick only, are you SURE your ram is all the way in the slot, and installed properly? Usually no beep points to a ram problem.

finally is there any chance that this problem will corrupt mother board or RAM

Normally, no. Installing new ram, even if it is the wrong type, will not damage anything. But there is always the possibility that you somehow physically damaged the ram slots, or perhaps shorted some circuitry by not properly grounding yourself before sticking your hands in the case.

I would put your old ram ONLY in there, and if you can't boot into bios, try resetting your CMOS to see if you can get in.

Look in your manual (or look on your motherboard) for the CMOS battery. You need to take it out for a few minutes (after unplugging your system). I actually usually leave it out overnight.

If you do have your motherboard manual, see if your board has the cmos "jumpers". This is a much faster way to reset CMOS but some boards don't have this.

Then put it back in, and this will reset your system.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back