problem with having to reinstall cd's over & over

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucky001

I have windows xp sp 2 desktop with ms word 2003
In order to have the help portion of my microsoft word 2003 version work , I must install the Microsoft streets and trips which I proceeded to do when I first go my computer , and it was fine but then after a few weeks when I clicked on the help function on my tool bar , it asked me to install streets and trips again just like the first time , and this also happens with my scanner its an hp scanjet 350c , everytime I want to use it I have to reinstall the software or driver ? anyway I have to reinstall the software with the cd that went with it , But I remember when I had the scanner hooked up to my previous computer with windows 98 this did not ever happen , after I installed the software once that was it with my old computer , I never had to reinstall the software (cd) and more after that
But with my new computer I wonder why I have to keep reinstalling the software ms streets and trips each time I want to use the help in word 2003 or the scanner software anytime want to use the scanner , I thought once its installed its in the registry and that’s it . unless you do a reformat . How can I get those files to stay in the registry and not have to keep reinstalling it every time I want to use those programs or my hardware ?

When you installed that software or any software did you first close all running programs including ,screen savers ,Anti virus and any processes that are not needed?
It sounds like the windows installer is corrupted.
You may have to uninstall those Apps cleanly including the installer and re-install cleanly.
Windows has alway suffered from this issue .

Yes Liquidlen I always first close all running programs including ,screen savers ,Anti virus and any processes that are not needed and even disabled xp firewall too and it did work all right... right after I installed the cd , but a week or two afterwards it don't access and I get this message that I have to install the cd again .but most of my software I installed I don't have this problem only with these two programs...
Does that sound like the microsoft installer , , If it is the installer does that mean I have to wipe out the hardrive and reinstall everything , in otherwords reformat ?

I have cleaned up a corrupted install by first cleanly uninstally the two offending apps , then I believe I reinstalled the Windows installer,but that has been a while .I do know that Office had some issues with the version of installer and upgrade path involved a new installer.
I won't be able to research this ,this week (sorry)

However I am sure you can clean this up without a total system reinstall, but you need to do some investigation before installing this software again.
P.S. I would definitely uninstall the scanner and all its software + check for updates, Reinstall after you have word stable and updated.
Let us know If you have no luck investigating I can look next week ,but someone here may have more info in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back