Problem with home network

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is driving me insane!!!

I have 2 PCs and two laptops set up on a home network. Two laptops and one PC XP SP2, and one PC is running VISTA. I can see all computers but the one PC with XP (Even the VISTA machine is fine!).

On the PC that is causing problem, I can Ping the other computers, but can't see anything on the network, nor can the other computers see this one. It has a unique name, and the firewall is turned off (for testing).

I am not sure if this is causing a problem, but when I look under properties under "Local Area Connection", the "Client for Microsoft Networks", and "File and Print Sharing" are there, but not checked. I have tried to check them, but when I do, it says that it will disable them.

Any suggestions?

1. When you say "the firewall is turned off (for testing)" is it off just on the one computer? Disconnect from your ISP and turn the firewalls off on all the computer
  2. Have you tried running (or re-running) the Setup Home Network wizard? (you'll see it listed under Network Tasks if you go to/open Network Connections
  3. All the computers have the same workgroup name?

1. I have all computers firewall off now. My DSL modem/router has an internal firewall, but all of the other computers work with that.
2. I've run the wizard multiple times, and it comes out the same every time.
3. Yes, I am using a name LAND1411 for the workgroup, and it is the same on all computers.

1. Since you're doing testing with all your computer firewalls off is best to disconnect from the Internet while all those computer firewalls are down. You should be able to
    • Log in to the router from one of your computers and have it close WAN Internet traffic (you don't need while testing the computers on your LAN side of the router)
    • There should be a status on the router to verify it sees each of your computers (tho if you said you can issue a ping from the problem PC you should have LAN connectivity through the PC network adapter
  2. You need client for Microsft Networks installed (and checked) for Windows networking to work. Try this link for troubleshooting.

I have a suggestion that will bring you back from the brink of insanity! It did for me.

Purchase the Network Magic program. It will have you set up in 20 minutes. After trying for a year, using every set of instructions I could find, (including doing the 'firewall dance')I failed to set up the network for my laptop and desktop. I heard about NM, got it and had my network mapped and operational in 20 min.

http://www.networkmagic.com/

This continues to be the best software purchase I ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back