Problem with JavaScript/Flash 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I first noticed my problem when I tried to watch a video on YouTube.. I thought I had already downloaded Flash 8 at the time so I was perplexed by the following message..

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Click here to get the latest flash player."

So I went and downloaded the newest version of Macromedia Flash, closed and reopened IE and tried again.. no go.. Then I rebooted.. still no go.

I forgot about it for a bit but have since discovered how much Flash programming there really is out there :p And I can't view any of it.. that's been updated anyway.

What have I done and how do I fix it??

And no, I'm not all that computer savvy so bear with me.

I don`t know if you`ve looked at this page Common Flash install issues

There are some pictures HERE for Activex settings.

A brief summary -

Before installing the Flash Player please ensure that you have the following settings correctly set:

Internet Explorer ActiveX settings

To view your Security Level do the following:
Open Internet Explorer.
Choose Tools then Internet Options.
Select the Security tab.
Choose Internet.
Ensure that "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" are not disabled.

If you are having trouble installing make certain that your Internet Explorer security level is not set to High or at a custom level which does not allow viewing of ActiveX controls.

Computer user permissions
User permissions determine whether or not you are allowed to install ActiveX controls or plug-ins. If you don't have Administrator access to your Windows NT, 2000, or XP equipped computer, you may not be able to install the Flash Player successfully.

All web browsers must be closed
When installing Flash Player with the standalone installer, all of your web browser windows must be closed. You will also need to close any application that makes any HTTP requests using the browser. Examples of this type of software include but are not limited to weather applications, messenger services, or audio or video media players.

Previous versions of Macromedia Flash Player should be removed.

I have installed Macromedia Flash Player but still don't see any Flash content. What is wrong?

The most common reasons that Flash content fails to display are:

Pop-up blockers blocking Flash

Internet utilities blocking ActiveX
Some Internet Utilities, such as Norton Internet Utilities, perform functions similar to a firewall and may restrict viewing of ActiveX controls. You need to ensure that your firewall or utility settings are set to allow ActiveX controls or you will not be able to view Flash movies in Internet Explorer.

What if the installer fails, or displays an error message?

Error message encountered during installation are usually due to incorrect browser settings. Please check the settings required before installation in the Where can I find instructions for installing Macromedia Flash Player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back