Problem with limewire shared folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loz1234

I run Limewire PRO on my Windows XP Homeedition system and a couple of days ago I went to open it up and it wouldn't open, so I went to the Shared folder, where Limewire drops my downloaded files and as I hovered over it, it closed down windows explorer with the 'windows has failed......would you like to send an error report'.

I imediatly thought this must be a virus so I ran Norton Anti Virus and it stalled at the same shared file that was causing the problems with windows explorer and then came up with the error, would you like to send report stuff. Then I tried adaware to see if it would pick it up and the same thing happened with that, hence Xoftspy also did the same thing.

I have run System Defrags and been into safe mode to see if i can delete it from there, my firewall has picked up nothing and web based virus scanners have done the same thing as Norton and Xoftspy did. I would appreciate any help, I don't know much about computers but I think it may have been something downloaded off of Limewire PRO that contained a virus.

Hi Loz1234 and welcome to techspot. =)

Important: Please read this thread HERE before you decide whether to clean or reformat your system.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given. Do follow all the instructions exactly. They will provide logs for analysis of your system so I will know how to instruct you to proceed.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste your logs if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Also, please let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Loz1234 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks, Speed of reply is brilliant.

Tried AVG but just corrupted the same as others, attatched is various logs.

Hi,

lol I think you were lucky since I happened to be online ;)

Have HijackThis fix the following:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: TwcToolbarBhoApp Class - {AA1F9DDB-E605-4ba6-81D4-E427DEE012AD} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\TwcToolbarBho.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O9 - Extra button: The Weather Channel - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: The Weather Channel - {2E5E800E-6AC0-411E-940A-369530A35E43} - (no file)

Fix all O17 entries if you do not recognise the domain to be from your ISP

Navigate in windows explorer and delete the file C:\WINDOWS\ALCMTR.EXE

Your logfiles seem clean to me. With regards to AVG, did you attempt to run AVG Antispyware?

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Loz1234 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

thanks a million, deleted the files and it allowed me access to the file, then it was a case of simply deleting it and then replacing the file.

Once again I can't thank you enough, brilliant diagnosis, you've helped me loads

Hi,

I'm not quite sure how my instructions helped. The problem was solved after which file exactly that you deleted and replaced?

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Hi,

When I deleted the windows\.......... (Sorry, cant remember the file) file in explorer and got hijackthis to fix the problems, it allowed access into the shared folder of Limewire Pro that had been causing the problems. I then simply releted the folder named 'shared' and everything, including the anti-virus scans worked again. I put it down to something that i must have downloaded off the Gnuttella network. Thanks for looking into the log files and highlighting the problems (they are what fixed it).

Loz1234

Hi,

Glad your problems are gone. I guess that did solve the problem (albeit a little fishy sounding to me). Should you have any further problems please post in this thread.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back