Problem with my external HDD (USB 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a external USB 2.0 HDD which i use with my notebook having a Windows XP home edition OS. This is actually an internal Maxtor HDD with a sleeve.

A day back the HDD stopped being detected properly. It now gets detected as a "Local Drive" and when I try to access it, it says that there's an error.
Then when I try to disconnect it using the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature, it gives me the message saying:
"The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it."

So after a few hours, I eventually give up and just unplug it. But the same thing happens everytime.
Also, there is a weird clicking noise that I can hear. This used to happen before as well at which time if I was playing any media off the HDD, it would kind of pause.

I don't know if this is because of a problem with the HDD or there is a loose connection with the sleeve.

Please help me. I would appreciate any advise that you could provide me with. Thanks in advance.

clicking noises are usually a sign that the hard drive is failing. your best bet is to backup any dta you want off that drive because you probably wont be able to access it at all before long.

As iss stated above, if the drive is clicking and unaccessable the hard drive has failed. I deal with situations like this on a daily basis and 95% of the time you will not be able to get the data off the drive without the help of a very expensive data recovery professional. I have had some luck by connecting the drive in a machine internally as a secondary master and trying to access it in that way. Works best in a machine with Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back