Problem with my seagate st3250823as

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstoned

never had one issue with seagate satas over 137gb
it is a windows driver issue or the bios is not set right

Hi everyone

I bought a seagate st3250823as, and that's where my problems started.
My sys can see only 137gb of a disk space.
I've got ga-k8n-sli main board, I installed the drivers for sata from the mainboard install cd, and nothing happend(i'm using win xp pro sp 2).
Can anyone help me??

I assume you're using Windows XP. Regardless, download the latest patches/service packs. Or if you know your registries, you have to change the enablebiglba so that the system can access drives bigger than 137GB. If you have Windows XP SP2 though, I would think you'd be able to do so. Another method is to partition the hard drive into drives smaller than 137GB.

Yes i'm using windows xp with integrated Service pack 2.
The 48 bit LBA should be enabled by default, but if it is not than maybe you can tell me how to check it??

Probably the only method left is to make it into smaller partitions. thanks for the info. As i can see many people have problems with sata especially with seagate sata's, if i knew sooner i would bought samsung's drive :(

The problem starts with my motherboard which cannot see disks larger than 137 GB, but it should (it's gigabyte's ga-k8n-sli with f6 bios).I checked the bios settings time after time, no result.
then comes another problem, seagate's disc wizard doesn't see the whole disk either, i cannot even use the DDO function, and at the end windows cannot see it too (except the 137 gb of course).
The guys from seagate wwrote to me this:
"At this point, this seems to be a drivers issue, please verify that you
installed the correct and updated SATA controller drivers for this
harddrive."
I used drivers from the mainbord install cd and then from the gigabyte's website, still nothing.
Maybe one of you may think something out because i lost any hope of this machine being able to work properly.
thanks for everything.
:)

sounds like you may have bios corruption and or there is confusion is this a sata 1 or 2 drive
I would reflash the bios then on boot go to bios and reset to factory optimum defaults
even after a flash upgrade downgrade the defaults have to be reset
if that does not fix it yer right a new board ,can you send that one back??
last option like you said get a disk manager and see if you can find unformatted space and add that as partition

I have a seagate ST3250824AS and mainboard GA-K8N-SLI. Same problem than yours. Bios don't recognize more than 137 GB and it's supposed to (F8 BIOS), but there's no option to enable LBA for the SATA. Windows XP SP2 with LBA 48 enabled and everything, and no unformatted space to complete the 250 gb.

Did you find any solution? The drivers from the post you refered worked?

Thanks

Jordi, the solution might be to update the BIOS. Your version may support only up to 137GB while the most recent BIOS will support more. See the Gigabyte website for more details click here.

Indeed you do. You said it and I overlooked it.

Did you update your BIOS after you formatted your hard drive or before?

I did it after formatting the hd, but the BIOS originally on the mainboard (F6) was also supposed to support LBA 48 and work properly.

I've used Seagate DIscWizard and Partition Magic to try to find the rest of the 250 gb. I thought maybe they were as unformatted space after the 137 gb partition, but the applications just find 137 gb as the whole disc, and that happens in windows xp sp2, BUT also running the boot cd of DiscWizard with no OS installed.

Another thing. In the BIOS, inside Standard CMOS Featutes, the IDE Channel 0 and 1 (the "Classic" ones, connected with IDE), as access mode let me choose between CHS, LBA, Large or Auto.
IDE Channel 2,3,4,5 (the SATA-II) just let me choose between Large or Auto. NO LBA OPTION. By default, the option is Auto. With this one detects 137 gb, and everything works but i lose almost 120 gb. If I change to Large (NOT LBA, there is no such option) the size of the hd detected is 128 gb and the OS is unable to boot.

I've written to the Gigabyte (the mainboard company) and I'm waiting for an answer, but every suggestion is welcome mailpup. :)

It seems there is an incompatibility between the motherboard SATA controller and the HD, detected by SeaTools.

Solution: I went to the shop and they told me that happened sometimes before, so they will change my HD or my mainboard for free.

Anyway, I will post the mail by Gigabyte technical support when received if there's a proper solution there.

Interesting. By all means post back when you have a resolution of your problem.

I changed the Seagate for a Samsung 250gb SATA II and everything works fine.
Today I've received the reply of Gigabyte:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for supporting GIGABYTE products and contacting GBT Tech Support. First of all, we would like to apologize for our late response. As to the problem you mentioned

1. Kindly send your Seagate HDD back to Seaget service for capacity re-allocate.
2. Connect the SATA HDD on the SATA port "0".
Thank you.

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

So, if you want my advice, don't use the seagate ST3250824AS or similar models with this mainboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back