Problem with my USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!!

I have been using an 80 GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive to keep backup of my data, which has recently started giving me a problem. I have just bought a new PC (running on Win XP - SP2) and i tried to connect the external drive to the comp and it gave me an error stating that there was a problem with the device...When I went into the device manager of my PC it showed an unknown device in the USB section. However, on trying the external hard drive on my laptop I could connect without any problem..

Could someone please help me with my problem....thanx

You might be getting an unsigned driver error, and sometime windows decides not to tell you and just declines them for you.
Go into the device manager and uninstall the drivers for the device, now reboot and try plugging it in again.
If that dosent work, maybe you have a faulty internal USB hub.

Did yuo try connecting to more than one USB port? I have one computer that one of the front USB posrts will give me the same message but the other works fine.

Still having problems with my USB2.0 hard drive

Thanks for your response....

I tried uninstalling the drivers, rebooting and then plugging in the device... it did not help. Additionally, I tried using a 512 MB USB flash/pen drive in the USB drives and it worked... so I dont think there is a problem with the internal USB hub. I have also tried using the hard drive on all my USB ports with the same results... no luck.

Yesterday, I borrowed my friends USB Hard Drive (an NTFS partitioned 40 GB disk) and tried to use it (works fine on his comp)... However again the same problem.

I just cant seem to figure this out ... Would appreceate any help I can get with this... Thanks.

If it is recognised in the laptop go into Disk Management and assign it a drive letter that is at least 2 letters past your last drive on the other machine.
See if this helps.

Problem with my external HDD (USB 2.0)

Hi!..

Had also tried assigning it a drive 3 or 4 letters past the existing drives on my PC with no help... but thanks for the suggestion ... Was wondering if the configuration of slave and master drives using the jumper has anything to do with it??

Also I have a Intel 915 chipset from mercury ... would there be a problem accesing USB 2.0 from this motherboard??

From everything i've read an external HDD should be jumpered as master...
If you're saying that chipset is an older one you could always get a USB 2.0 PCI card and see if that does any better.
I have just DLoaded 2 opensource USB programs for testing and i'll let you know if they are any good...they are supposed to make USB devices play nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back