Problem With New Ram..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUDEBWOY

ram ???

Well im upgradeing my custom built pc to 1 gig chip also with a 512 chip inside so ill remove my second 512 and have 1 gig and 512 in would my system run
good with this it was good now but how much better u say itll run..

What make and model is the motherboard?

Its manual will tell you which slots can take which sizes of DIMM modules and how to install them to use dual-channel mode or just use standard single-channel mode. You can download a copy from the manufacturer's site.

You can't use dual-channel mode if you use modules that are different sizes - they have to have the same capacity and be of the same type. E.g., two DDR400 modules.

If you install modules of different sizes you can only have the RAM operating in single-channel mode.

See this page for info on DDR RAM in single and dual-channel modes:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/RAM.htm#ddr

WELL yesterday my new ram came in i currentley had 2 512s in so i took one out and put in a 1 gig but after like 12 hours or so my system would suddenley just restart by it self this never happend befor ok so now i took out one of the 512 and swpped it with the other and 15 hours later same thing happend random reboot now im currentley just running the 1 gig alone to see if that will fix it both the chips are diffrent brands but run at the same speed 400 mhz pc 3200...now when i restart the pc or w.e i get a error saying something about a device driver but i know thats nothing cause this never happend until i newley installed this ram can you guys tell me what u think or any ideas if the 1 gig fail to work by it self ill have no choice but to put the 2 512 chips in my system...

First thing to do is check and make sure that different memory that you are mising and matching are the same latency. If they are even slightly different that could be what is causing your problem. If your latencies match up then I would try this that will help you determine if your memory is failing you..

ok well

well right now i got the 1 gig in alone and ive noticed something diffrent aim window use to lag up badly ever since i took out the other 512s and left the 1 gig seems perfect ill leave the system running and if it stays on within 1 day with out restart im sure its good cause it usally takes 12 hours or so just to restart by it self..

hmmm

OK some one told me it can be cause im running 1 gig and a 512 and i have to run 1 gig and 1gig or a 512 and a 512 is that true???

There are no rules set in stone, but in general, motherboards like two matched pairs of ram (both in speed and size). If you are mix-matching things, some systems become unstable, some don't. Sounds like your system doesn't like the combo you are trying.

Is one stick single-sided and another double sided? This could also be the problem. If so, take a look in your manual for the correct ram configuration (i.e, what slot you should be popping the ram in).

ram ??

well i just bought new ram a 1 gig stick my mobo holds 2 gigs i had 2 512s in befor now when i try to run 1 gig and a 512 the system reboots by it self every 12 15 hours but when i run the 1 gig alone it works fine any way does this mean i would have to buy another 1 gig in order for it to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back