Problem with Power and new Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm by no means and expert and this is my first attempt at putting a computer all together, so bear with me please.

THE PROBLEM
My sister has a Dell 4600c, it's a low profile desktop. She wanted to see if she could put a new video card in it so she could play the sims. Well a regular sized video card won't fit in the case. So, she got a new case and video card and asked me to put all the parts into the new case for her. I put everything into the new case and wired everything up. There are two main power cables that plug into the motherboard. When I hook both up (A large cable, and a small 4 pin cable that hooks into the back near USB, Monitor output, etc.) The fans spin for a second and then quit. When I just hook up the main power all the fans spin, cd tray opens, hard drive spins, etc, but I get no output to a monitor. The new case came with its own power supply, which has this problem, so I even tried putting the old power supply into the new case and still get this problem. If anyone has any advice please let me know. My sister will be back in 2 days and needs the computer for school.

How old is the computer? Up until a few years ago Dell used a proprietary wiring scheme for the main ATX connector and if you plug a different power supply into the board it will ruin it. Also most of the power supplies that come with cases are really cheap unless its from the high end brand like Antec and Cooler Master. Pull out the board and re-install it making sure no part of the case is touching it, especially the I/O shiled in the back. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? What kind of video card? It may be incompatable. Try the card she originally had.

How old is the computer? Up until a few years ago Dell used a proprietary wiring scheme for the main ATX connector and if you plug a different power supply into the board it will ruin it. Also most of the power supplies that come with cases are really cheap unless its from the high end brand like Antec and Cooler Master. Pull out the board and re-install it making sure no part of the case is touching it, especially the I/O shiled in the back. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? What kind of video card? It may be incompatable. Try the card she originally had.

The computer is only a year old. The case I got came with a Powermax power supply. I've tried installing the power supply from the original case and get the same problem. I will try remounting the motherboard and see if that helps. I don't know how to clear the CMOS, but i'll look it up and see how to do that. The video card is an ATI Raedon 9200...but the computer has an onboard video controller, so I haven't even installed the card yet, was just going to get it working in a new case first. I get no display from the onboard video. Thanks so much for the reply. If I don't get this figured out soon, i'll probably just end up getting another board. The board is the problem, her computer is one of those small compact desktops, so the motherboard, as well as the hard drive, cd drive, are small and don't fit the case so well. Probably would be best with a full sized board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back