Problem with PX-716a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am having a problem with my Plextor px-716a DVD drive. It seems to be able to read CDs but doesn't recognise any type a DVDs. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any idea where to start solving the problem? Or find out what is happening? I don't really have much of an idea where to start.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you

pjohn

tried updateing your firmware for the drive?
how old is it? it may as well be dying with age...

I have updated with the latest firmware I could find (1.09 I think) and it isn't even a year old yet. IT still doesn't work with the updates. In fact it only recognises my DVD drive as a CD Drive now in My Computer!

Thanks

Pjohn

try this:
[right click my computer>properties>hardware>device manager] find the drive there. uninstall it.
turn off the pc, unhook it from the mains then open up the case, ground yourself by touching the metal frame and disconnect the dvd drive. both power cable and the ribbon cable.
plug in the mains power and turn on the pc and let it boot into windows, then turn it off again.
unplug the mains, and hook up the drive, and boot up windows. it will come up as new hardware and reinstall it for you again.

if it still doesnt show, bring it to another pc and hook it in there.. if it still gives you no dvd access then you may as well claim warranty on it since its less than a year..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back