Problems after buying new grapich card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapli

Hello, for some weeks ago i went to the store to buy Black and White 2.
When i got home i got the error "Pixelshader 1.1", bla bla. I had a GeForce 2 MX.
So i went to the store again to buy a new grapich card and bought a GeForce 6200. When i got home i installed it properly and downloaded all the drivers and stuff i needed, then i started playing Black and White 2. It worked good until it started crashing, the game just crashes (restarts). It can happend in the first 5min or i can sit around and play for 2 hours until it crashes. That was the first problem, now to my second one. When i try to play vidio files (avi,mpg..) my computer goes REAL slow, not enough that the computer goes slow but the screen is black. I hear the sound but i cant see the vidio. So i tried some other drivers, still the same problems. Then i tried without drivers, it worked! But ofcourse i couldnt play Black and White 2 but i could view vidios (with low quality). So how do i fix this? I mean im not going to remove my driver everytime i want to view a movie. Here is my specs:
Intel Pentium 4
2.4 Ghz
GeForce 6200
512 DDR-RAM
C-Media 5.1 Audio

Sorry for my bad English
Thanks in advance

- Kapli

HijackThis log:

Standard Stuff to suggest: Have you got the lastest DirectX9.0? Update your mobo Chipset drivers. Run CPU-Z (Google search, it's freeware) to find out your motherboard and chipset version and revision.

The computer crashing while gaming is classic under power problem or overheating of the CPU. Check your PSU, (for that video card and CPU) you'll need at least 22Amps on the 12Volt output (look at the label on the side of your PSU) (power supply unit) (sorry for dumbing this down, just in case).

Take the side off your case and put a table fan blowing on it to see if that helps any overheating issues.

For the avi, mpeg prob, are you running in MediaPlayer? Download the lastest version and set properties to auto find appropriate Codec.

That's all I got for now.

1. Yes i got DirectX 9.0c
2. I got the lastest bios updates and all that stuff for my moatherboard.
The computer crashing while gaming is classic under power problem or overheating of the CPU. Check your PSU, (for that video card and CPU) you'll need at least 22Amps on the 12Volt output (look at the label on the side of your PSU) (power supply unit) (sorry for dumbing this down, just in case)
About that, im not sure what you are talking about and how to do that...
3. I have Media Player 9, but i dont think thats the problem, cause i have tried many other vidio players. Whenever i try to watch vidio in any way, the program starts to use 97-99 of my CPU.
Thank you for responding!

- Kapli

Ok tell us what your motherboard is. I need to know if it's AGPX4, or X8. run the CPU-Z program it will give you all the details. If you click on the about tab and press memory dump, it will copy it all to a text file and you can post it here.

Your Power supply is probably under powered for this new video card. You need on the 12Volt output to have at least 20 or higher amps. You can read this off the label on the side of the PSU. (the grey box at the back top, inside computer which the power cord plugs into) (sorry for dumbing it down).

In BIOS, I can't remember the setting right now (I'll look it up and post back later) you can turrn off pixel refresh (or something like that). This is letting the CPU handle some of the graphics and you DON'T want that.

I have to go out now, everyone waiting , I'll post back here later.

Hello again, thank you very much for replying I really appriciate it.
Your Power supply is probably under powered for this new video card. You need on the 12Volt output to have at least 20 or higher amps. You can read this off the label on the side of the PSU. (the grey box at the back top, inside computer which the power cord plugs into) (sorry for dumbing it down).
Its abit confusing, I dont really understand what to do here.
I am no pro in computers :(
Here is the dump file from the cpu-z:

Attachments

• cpuz.txt
    28.7 KB · Views: 10
In your dump it says,
AGP Capability
Version 3.0
Status disabled
Max transfer 4x
Queue lenght 67 (max 32)

Which means you have agp 4x. It's odd that it lists it as agp version 3.0 though, I thought 3.0 was agp 8x.
I think even as agp 4x a 6200 should be compatible, as most modern agp cards are agp 8x/4x compatible.

To check your power supply, you open the case, look for a box with a mess of wires coming out of it, look at the sticker on the side of the box and it should say something like this
12v 15a
5v 30a
3.3v 25a
etc,
find this and post the values back along with the manufacturer(if listed) and the specified wattage, like a 200w, 300w, etc.

ATX 12V WITH PFC Ball Bearing Fan
CHIEFTEC
Model: HPC-360-202
AC INPUT: 115V 8A
230V 5A
FREQUENCY: 50-60Hz
MAX. LOAD: 360W
DC OUTPUT
+5V|+3.3V|+12V|-5V|-12V|+5VSB
35A|28A|17A|0.3A|0.8A|2A
220V|204V|1.5W|9.6W|10W
340W MAX.

And for the rest it just alot of writing "warning, attention..."

+5V|+3.3V|+12V|-5V|-12V|+5VSB
35A|28A|17A|0.3A|0.8A|2A 340W MAX.

Ok. +5V is at 35A, +3.3V at 28A AND the +12V is at 17A!!!!!!!!
This PSU is not enough power for the new video card and the CPU. Your 12V line runs the CPU and GPU (on the video card). A reasonable PSU, would cost you $30-40. US. and should be in the range of 450-500W!

This is your primary problem with crashing in the B&W2 game. Go to any local computer store and buy a 450-500 Watt PSU. ($30-40 US) approx. This will make your PC run sooooo much better!

I can talk you through the install.

Cheers.

Are you sure you updated your Chipset drivers :SiS 648 rev. 02
Edit: your mobo is P4S8X
Here's the link: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us.

Download this file first: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P4S8X-MX&type=Drivers&SLanguage=en-us. THIS BRINGS YOU TO A PAGE OF DOWNLOADS. (sorry for shouting, I just want you to dnld the right file): IMPORTANT: DOWNLOAD THIS FILE:
V3.65 2005/03/18update
OS Win98SE / WinME / Win2K / WinXP / Win2003
Description SiS graphics Display Driver V3.65 98/ME/2000/XP/2003(WHQL).
File Size 15.87 (MBytes) (about half way down the page).

Will the PSU also fix the problem with watching vidio files???
kirock said:

Here's the link: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us.

Download this file first: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P4S8X-MX&type=Drivers&SLanguage=en-us. THIS BRINGS YOU TO A PAGE OF DOWNLOADS. (sorry for shouting, I just want you to dnld the right file): IMPORTANT: DOWNLOAD THIS FILE:
V3.65 2005/03/18update

The first link???
On the second link, there is no V3.65 and i dont have P4S8X-X

go to the 2nd link I posted and make sure you download the file that says :
SiS graphics Display Driver V3.65 (it's about 1/2 to 3/4 down the page).

The 1st link is for all the updates for your mobo:p4S8X
So you can review them and see what else you think you might need or can use.

I'm hoping the PSU will clear up this prob too. Here's a link to a reasonable PSU at tigerdirect.com:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=876412&CatId=1079

Hm.... im from a country named "Norway", lol.
I would do best off if i bought it around here ;)
I have seen this Bzerk 500W PSU, is it good enough? about 25$
Okey i found the SiS driver thing, will download tomorrow, then ill see what i can do with the bios stuff, this is abit hard for me cause im abit meh.. n00b :(

kirock said:
Edit: your mobo is P4S8X

V3.65 2005/03/18update

Yes, and that file is for P4S8X-MX. Another thing, why not download V6.14.10.3650?
Holy ***** it will take ages to download at 8kb -.-

Sorry , my BAD. I didn't see that it had suddenly jumped to the P4S8X-MX.

Try this: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P4S8X&SLanguage=en-us

the file is: SiS AGP WHQL Drivers for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP V7.2.0.1170
File Size 5.38 (MBytes)

Another thing, why not download V6.14.10.3650?
That was for the WinXP 64 bit. and now you pointed out the -MX.

Also the very 1st download is for your BIOS:
P4S8X BIOS 1005Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
Fix system fail to write read-only CD using Plextor CDRW writer.
Update Promise RAID BIOS from Rev 020 to Rev 021.
Fix system will show certain error message once in a while when BTC PS2 office keyboard is installed

Highly recommended, since your BIOS is date 2002: DMI BIOS
--------
vendor Award Software, Inc.
version ASUS P4S8X ACPI BIOS Revision 1003A
date 08/26/2002

Updating BIOS will most likely fix the AGPX4 not being able to be set to X8.
WARNING: be very careful when updating (Flashing) BIOS! Follow all instructions to the letter.

Cheers,

kapli said:
Hm.... im from a country named "Norway", lol.
I would do best off if i bought it around here ;)
I have seen this Bzerk 500W PSU, is it good enough? about 25$
Okey i found the SiS driver thing, will download tomorrow, then ill see what i can do with the bios stuff, this is abit hard for me cause im abit meh.. n00b :(
An answer on this maybe?
Okey i installed the SiS WHQL AGP thingy and i downloaded that BIOS thing.
But the BIOS thing is just a file, how do i install it?

Okey im not too good in English but ill do the best i can!
After i have updated BIOS i will buy a Bzerk 500W PSU and install it bla bla bla.. after that i shouldnt have more problems with my PC? BW2 shouldnt crash, i can play vidio files etc...?
Thanks for all the help so far!

Yes, the new mobo drivers you installed today will help the video run smoother. BIOS update is required to activate the AGPX8 feature of the mobo, which will double your video refresh rate. And the new PSU will ensure all components have enough power and Windows won't crash on you.
Post back when you've got the BIOS update done. Go into your BIOS and activate the AGPX8 (i.e this time it should let you select that.) Run BH2 and see how it goes.

cheers,

Okey i found out the mobo drivers fixed everything with watching movies and stuff :)
I have updated BIOS now and set the thing to AGP 8X.
Im abit low on money so i cant buy new PSU right now, but i will soon!
Havent tried BW2 yet but i almost forgot, when i play Counter-Strike Source sometimes the game crashes with memory error, i have run memtest86 about 4 times with 0 errors. What can couse this?

- Kapli

cpuz log:

For CS.S try increasing your HunkMegs to 128. This is the amount of system RAM you allow the game to use, I think the default is 64. You only have 512 so using 256 might get even more unstable as Windows needs around 256 to work properly. To do this you can right click on the CS.S short cut and in the target window type -HunkMegs 128. Type this AFTER all the other stuff, Do not clear anything from that command line. Alternatively you can edit this in your cfg file located in your Counter Strike folder. Edit it in notepad.

Get a new PSU as soon as possible.

Cheers, :grinthumb

Im surprised I didn't see this earlier, Hamilton Ontario eh? You on the mountain east end? Or the west end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back