PROBLEMS after formatting my hard drive into NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickkk

This past week I have been trying to reformat my computer, however every time I try to install windows, I receive errors messages. My friend helped me run a diagnostic program on my computer and all the tests were ok except my file structure test, it failed with many errors. I formatted and checked my hard drive to see if anything was wrong but nothing. The test fails with critical errors after I format my hard drive into NTFS. I've never had this problem before.

I did just install a new motherboard** but I dont think that is the problem because it passed the diagnostic test.

Please help!

Try downloading the latest drivers for your motherboard. Also check the hard drive makers website to see if there are any reported problems.

My mistake. Without Windows you can't. :eek:

Go to the disc makers sight and download their disc utilities and run their diagnostics.

You likely have bad sectors on your hd. HD Regenerator might be able to fix those for you but its not free.
Download a drive diagnostic utility and run on it. That will tell you (almost) for sure whether your drive is about to die or not.

I just installed a new hard drive so the hard drive isn't bad...

it only fails after I attempt to format with NTFS and setup windows

If you continue to post like that, you won't be around here much longer. Settle down.

First off, how did you determine that if you install another hd that = your old one isn't bad? Surely you did not mean that, but what you posted implied that.

You know what, you can't install motherboard bios drivers EVER (you can however flash your motherboards bios), cause they don't exist. As stated in IronDuke's 2nd post, you can't install motherboard drivers without being in an operating system, in your case Windows.

You can find information about bootable floppies at www.bootdisk.com

Sadly I too have this problem. My laptop began crashing last night with errors both in windows xp and debian-linux. Data corruption everywhere. I windows I mainly got "page fault in a non-paged area" which could be just about any type of memory problem. I switched out my ram with no success. Dell has a diagnostics cd and I ran the tests on everything including the ram and hard drive and L1,L2 cache. No errors. Now that windows is totally corrupted I tried to reinstall. Everytime windows xp or linux formats the hard drive it is corrupted right after the format. That is it formats fine but once done if I use scandisk, chkdsk, or reiserfsck they all report unrecoverable errors. I say hard drive but I am not positive. Anyone have some insite?

Dell Inspiron 9100
P4 2.8ghz Prescott
1024mb ram pc3200
60gb TOSHIBA MK6026GAX
HLDS GCC-4243N Slim CDRW/DVDROM 24X GBAS
ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 128mb
Dell Wireless 1450 mini-pci

dd

well I bought a new hard drive and attempted to install again and format but that didnt working. However, the solution to my problem was connecting my hard drive to my friends computer and letting him format through windows xp then install windows xp then reconnect to my own computer and it worked

hi.. in future if u ever face this issue, then u can try this as i had the same problem in past.. all u gotta do is go to killdisk.com, download active killdisk, make a bootable disk with killdisk on it.. boot in dos and run the utility... it will write 0's on the HDD deleting all the data and then u can use the format command to format the c drive.. u will have to do unconditional formatting (format c:/u) and that will take care of the issue.. Explaination: over the time the sectors are not able to take more data and hence u face the issue.... if u use killdisk, it takes of the old data and File Allocation Table and hence recreated... but if u use format command directly, it doesnt erase data rather overwrites the data and FAT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back