Problems ahead for TiVo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
We don't post much of these but thought would be news worthy anyway, now it's up to your geekiness level... taken from Slashdot news:

The first line from this CRN/Associated Press story says it all: 'Debra Baker tells people she has TiVo. But she really doesn't.' As cable companies offer their own DVR boxes to customers for no upfront cost and a lower monthly fee than the original, people are using TiVo as a verb but are frequently not using using the product or service itself in real life. The article notes that the cable company's DVRs don't have some of the archtypical TiVo features, such as the ability to guess what you'd like recorded based on your viewing habits.

The only product tivo had was the channel guide as the os for its box- as a Media Center user for over a year now, I can attest to the faulty logic to that scheme. The good news I supppose will be a format that will make re-encoding unecessary and we will be able to archive video as we see fit.

I had Tivo but got an HD tv. So we called Tivo and asked them when they were planning on making an HD unit. The man on the phone sort of blew us off -- "A couple years minimum." Well, okeedoke, if that's the way they want to be.

I loved my Tivo -- the DVR that comes from the cable co doesn't even come close, but I guess they've decided that they won't even try to offer any competition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back