Problems installing new heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz d.

Ok, so last night, I install my new heatsink...the Thermaltake Cl-p0024...it is HUGE and it took about three hours...but after i was finally done, and i plugged everything back into the mobo, i turn it on and it wont get past the ASUS mobo screen.
It says hit delete to go to setup, but delete doesnt work. If i hit TAB right away, i get to the black energy saver screen, and it reads the processor and the RAM, but is still frozen there...
I was thinking it wasnt loading the hard drive, but ive checked the connections about a million times, and everything is connected....WHAT AM I FORGETTING??

PLEASE HELP!
Thanks,
Chaz D.

Probs after new Heatsink on CPU

First of all, you should title your posts accurately so people know what you're talking about. OMFG is not a title.

Ok, I can think of 3 things:

1. You've made electrical contact with the mobo to the chassis. Possibly via the mounting hardware for the new heatsink. Try to remove(partially) the mobo to ensure it's not touching the case.(powered off and unplugged). Ensure it's free from contact and fire her up.

2. Check all your connections inside the case. Especially the HDD cable. Easy to loosen them. Sympton is like HDD cable on in wrong direction. The red stripe goes to pin1.

3. Least likely. You said HUGE fan. Is it possible your PSU is at its limit and the fan pushed it over the edge? Unplug the new CPU fan (just long enough to see if it boots). Then shut down immediately if it does look like it's booting.
But new PSU.

(option 4 you don't want hear).

Good luck, let us know if you found the prob.

Cheers,

nope nope

thanks for the quick reply....
i highly doubt that metal is touching metal...otherwise it probably woundt fire up at all...
the psu is not maxed out...i have a 500W psu...so...i dont think anything i have could max that out...
finally, yes, all the hard drives are plugged in correctly...

the only thing that could have maybe happened is dmg to the mobo while i was installing it...
thanks for any other thoughts,
chaz d.

p.s. when i FIRST tuned on the comp, after the install.....the cpu fan made a grinding sound...i dont know if this was blowing something, or what...but, it never made the sound again...

Another 2 possibilities.

Did you use thermal paste between heatsink and cpu? Sorry but I had to ask.

That heatsink is very large, and from the looks of it quite heavy.

Did you use a shim between the heatsink and cpu? If not it is possible that the cpu has been damaged, when connecting the new heatsink.

Regards Howard :)

no shim

yes, i used thermal paste....a little much i might add....it was seeping out a little bit...but none of it touched the cpu, i made sure of that..
plus, when i hit TAB i could see that it was reading the processor fine, so there were no problems there...
Do u think the shim is really necessary? I was looking at it, there was no way that anything was touching...

ive decided that it was my mobo...i sent it in as a faulty product...

do u think that grinding sound was my cpu burning out? or what?
thanks,
chaz d.

With a large heatsink like that, I would say yes it`s advisable to use a shim.

Maybe you`re right, and it is a mobo problem.

Please let us know the outcome, when you get your new mobo.

Regards and good luck Howard :)

last thing..

the reason i that i think its the mobo is cause when i was ripping out my old heatsink, i didnt realize that the reason it was death gripped in there was because of the thermal paste...so, i yanked it out, and dinged one of the capacitors...
i had to move the capacitor back to its original position....so, that has to be what happened...plus, when i was putting the mobo back in, the corner got caught on the psu cable wrap, and made kind of a cracking sound...which didnt seem major, but...again, could have effected the performance...

thanks,
chaz d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back