Problems Installing onto a Partitioned Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, Here's one thats making me scratch my head a bit.

I have a 200gig SATA drive split into 3 partitions, 2 with O/S's on (both XP pro sp2) and the remainder is left for general storage.

One of the partitions I use only for games, however, I am trying to install Doom 3 and it refuses to, heres what happens. I boot into the Games Partition (my H: Drive) I put the CD in and when it asks if I want to install into the default dir C:\ program files\bla\bla, I change the root drive letter to H:\

The Install kicks in but then the progess bar comes on and just sits there. Eventually it times out (sorry, I cant remember the exact error message)
This happens with a few games. UT2004 goes on OK but I know that it doesnt install any system files (is that the problem here?)

The Partition is a Primary one and not just a logical drive. Any Ideas? :confused:

I dont think I get any "Custom" install options but I will try tonight (slaving over a hot PC at work ATM) but thanks for the reply. :D

I installed Doom 3 on a second hdd. It wasn't a bootable one, but not C: Everything worked fine. That seems weird. Do you think it could be something with the CD or your drive? Is it dirty/scratched? Have you cleaned the drive in a while?

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Boot into H: drive ?

Sorry, cannot understand why the drive you boot into is H: ? Why is it not C: ? Have you got both XP partitions visible when you are running either, and if so this could be very confusing to your PC, Doom installer (and me).

Sorted

Yes, I have a multi-partitioned drive and what is now my H: Drive has XP and games installed onto it. However, I have found the cause of all my problems. I assumed (not a good idea) that I could use a ghost image that was created on my C: partition on ALL the partitions. Well...yes it does work untill the game or app needs to add system files and then it all goes "tits up"

O'h well, we live and learn huh..thanks for your replies guys.

System Commander Application

I've also recently tried "System Commander" which is a natty little utility that will allow me to make all other partitions (other than the one that youve booted to) invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back