Problems Installing Windows Media Center on my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven_X

..sound like a broken record but I am having problems installing Windows Media Center on my pc. Here's the deal. I built a PC from the ground up. It was my first time and everything appeared to work smoothly. I used an old Windows XP recovery/reinstallation disk that came with my wifes Dell Laptop. I installed it and it seem to run fine. It said I needed to activate it within 30 days. I wasn't really thinking and thought I would need the serial number so I went ahead and just bought Windows Media Center. I just overwrote the XP partition with MC. I then updated all the drivers and everything seemed ok. Then I loaded a Roxio program that came with my DVD/CD burner and it went down hill from there. Now this program worked with the first XP disk my wife had. However it caused Window MC to act strange. It wouldn't read my DVD burner at all. I got this message "Windows cannot start the hardware device because it's configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (Code 19)". I clicked the troubleshooting but it didn't respond. So after a few minutes of trying a few other things I decided since I hadn't done a lot of stuff I would just wipe my HDD and start over. This time I deleted the partition and started fresh. It went through the formatting without a hitch. Then it started loading the MC onto my HDD. I get all the way to where it says "Deleting Temporary Files" (Something to that effect.) With 1 minute remaining. Then everything freezes. My mouse, keyboard, and the screen. I ran it 3 times and it stops at the same place. Any suggestions on what the problem may be? It worked before now it doesn't seem to want to work. I am flabbergasted. I am currently deleting the partition and reformatting again. Not holding my breath. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

MSI K8N Neo4-F NVIDIA Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor
Crucial 1024MB PC3200 DDR
XFX GeForce 6800 Xtreme 256mb
Plextor 18x dvd burner

Windows Media Center probably doesnt support DVD/CD-RW/CD-R drives. You will need to reinstall windows XP for your drives and media center on a different partition.

It does because it worked perfect until I installed Roxio. I was able to load games and made sure they played. So I know that cannot be the case. Also I tried reloading that first XP that I originally used and it says to insert the a different disk. Which is wierd since it worked once before.

I guess third time is a charm. I deleted the partition and reformatted for a third time and went through. Then it froze on the installation twice but finally worked on the third time. Not sure why it does this.

Me neither. Glad your problem is fixed(and sorry for not replying sooner). Also, maybe Roxio is interfereing with your drives drivers(sounds a bit funny, eh mate?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back