problems opening system menu from control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guigsy1

when i try to open up my system menu in the control panel i get the following error

An exception occurred while trying to run "C\windows\system32\shell32.dll,control_RunDLL"c:\windows\system32\sysdm.cpl",system"

i'm running xp home sp2 and i recently moved my data onto a new hard drive, before doing so i had to repair some bad sectors on the old drive. I'm not sure if these are related because i can't remember the last time i went into this menu, i've tried looking for solutions online but all of them have to do with system restore, which opens fine on my computer

any suggestions?

If you copied the entire system over to the new drive (data and OS), then it's possible that you've got a corrupt system file.

I am really against copying an entire system over to a new drive. You're much better off to copy all your data (My documents, photos, music, etc) and just reinstall a fresh copy of your OS. You'll have a cleaner install and as a result will run faster and with fewer issues.

Try repairing your windows installation and see if it fixes it. The way you do this is to restart your computer with the windows cd in the drive, choose to install, and just replace the OS. This will repair your system files without deleting your data.

Just be sure you don't format the hard drive.

Good luck!

i don't have my windows cd with me

and it doesn't crash my system or anything, i just wanted to go in there and lower the system restore allotment, because i have a large MFT reserved area on a new partition i made. plus, like i said, i'm not even sure if copying to the new disk was even the cause..... i could even confirm it by plugging back in my old hd and seeing if it had the same problem.

other than a windows repair, does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back