problems setting up wireless on suse 9.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

winglet

I know my settings are correct because it used to work before I re-installed suse 9.2 I am behind 2 routers, a d-link and linksys.
I am able to ping both of them but I am unable to ping any websites.

I checked my route configurations and made it the same as when there's an ethernet plugged in. The internet works when I plug it in.

I know that before I re-installed, there was a couple of lines in a configuration file I added....I can't remember what or where though...can anyone help?

If you made the routing table identical to the one you use with wired connection then the routing table would say that everything is to be routed through the wired interface..

If you can ping stuff through the wireless then it means that the client side wireless is working fine.
Check the router configuration to make sure your machine is allowed to access the internet.

Have you set up the DNS servers correctly?

well, everything is the same except that I point it to eth1 (my wireless) instead of eth0

hmmm, I'm not sure what I have to setup in terms of DNS wise?

You have to tell what your DNS servers are.
Look in /etc/resolv.conf for "nameserver" entries. If there are none there then you cannot resolve any hostnames.

winglet said:
well, everything is the same except that I point it to eth1 (my wireless) instead of eth0

hmmm, I'm not sure what I have to setup in terms of DNS wise?
You will need to contact your ISP to find out what DNS servers to use.

well, I checked the resolve.conf file and everything seems fine
it has search *ESSID* (which is correct)
and nameserver *my router IP*

it says it was setup by dhcp so...that should be fine. Why would I have to call my ISP? Last time I got it working I didn't have to call the ISP?

This leaves only your router as the culprit. Maybe you have to allow the MAC address of the SuSE machine's wireless card or the IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back