Problems shutting down windows after SP1 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endeavor

my hard drive recently crashed so i went through the windows XP reinstall process, but after I installed SP1 on my system, It takes a couple of minutes before the shutdown process actually completes. Any ideas?

Try running scandisk and then defrag the hard drive that might solve the problem. after I installed SP! mine was slow to shutdown until I did the above.

There were errors on the disk and the disk needed to be defragged, but after completing these tasks, My shutdown time is still atrocious!

I am thinking the gremlin might be caused by a bad XP install CD, I used my friend's XP install CD (Before I get any flames I do have a legal/legit Key that IS NOT Pirated) and I am unsure of the quality. Could this be it? The problem started after I installed SP1

usually hangs at shutdown are because of a driver or drivers that are not wanting to unload. one more thing you can try is to shutdown the windows exit sounds Control panel/sound devices/sound. look for the ones that have to do with the sounds made when windows logs off and shuts down and set them to none.

Good point, sounds in Windows can make things very laggy at times. Especially if you have sounds for just about everything possible, then it will run slower.

I have had this problem only a few times, and am pretty sure that it is related to things not quitting properly delaying the process. So I have a feeling iss is correct.

I have tried the afore mentioned ideas to no avail. I disabled some hidden unused network card profiles and disabled the shutdown sounds which did nothing to decrease the time that my computer uses to start the shutdown sequence, my comp just hangs at the shutdown screen. Thank you for all your help, if there is any other system information you might need in order to help me diagnose my problem, do not hesitate to ask.

it is probably a device driver then that isnt unloading properly at shutdown. how does device manager look? are there any devices with yellow exclamation points beside them? check each device and make sure that all of them say "this device is working properly"

if not then the only other thing I can think of is to make sure that you have the lastest drivers for your devices and particularly the latest Microsoft WHQL certified drivers non certified drivers dont always cause this problem but they can.

one thing I should have asked earlier. whenyou say you reinstalled windows did you reformat the drive then do a clean install?

i actually got a new hard drive because my previous one failed, so i did a clean install with a full format (not a quick format) and there are no device conflicts, and I did go to View -> Show Hidden Devices. Should I just attempt a reinstall?

well before you try an reinstall try going into the bios and checking to see if APCI is enabled. you might also try setting the bios to fail safe defaults and see if that makes a difference.

Well i just did an inplace reinstall and my problem still exists, so i will try the fail safe BIOS options.

Windows XP is supposed to recognize and configure the OS for the power managemet which is supported in the bios. problem is it doesnt always happen and if it doesnt nothing will fix it short of a clean install.

yah i was thinking it was a problem with the power management, 2 upgrade installs didnt manage to pinpoint the problem so i am just going to leave it alone. Thank you for you help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back