Problems Starting Up, Freezing Randomly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past few weeks, my computer has been freezing randomly - sometimes Windows dosen't even load and it freezes, other times it's either on the internet or playing a game.

I got no clue what's going on, but in games I can see characters - and on the internet and other things with text I can see the letters outlined in purple/pink then it freezes.

This has happened before, and last time it was something to do with my memory, I've changed out the chips twice now and it keeps on doing it. I'm starting to think more and more this might be either a CPU or Drive related incident.

Any suggestions?

NOTE: The system does not restart itself, the screen stays the same, but the mouse and the background all look right but it just freezes. I have not changed any type of files or installed anything to my knowledge that would cause such problems.

EDIT: Now my computer won't even start up, it just freezes.

Antec 480W PS
Intel 2.4GHz w/HT (Not OC'd)
1 GB Kingston HyperX DDR
Intel D857PBZ Motherboard
Radeon 9700 A-i-W
200 GB HD

Can you boot it up in "safe mode"? Does the freezing also happen when in safemode?

It could be any number of things, and sometimes takes time to diagnose. I always prefer to start with the cheap things first, in hopes that I am lucky.

So, if you can actually get into windows, right click on "my computer" the click "manage" then "event viewer" (assuming you're on XP).

Click around in there and look for what errors are being reported in the different categories. This could give us a hint as to what is causing the problems.

Let us know if you find anything in there. If not, we can move on to other things to check.

Power supply? If you can get through POST try reinstalling windows. If not its probably bad RAM or CPU overheat. To make sure use a memory test program from a floppy. Take all peripherals and cards out and try it. Could be conflicts. What temp is your BIOS showing for CPU and system? Computers suck dude.. trust me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back