Problems upgrading from XP Home to Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashurn2001

I just purchased a notebook this spring and decided recently that I would upgrade it myself to Pro. When I got just about done, I encountered problems installing the proprietary system software and drivers. I got a message that stated 'this operating system will not work on this computer'. Anyone have any ideas. By the way I did get most of the installation completed without any problems until the end. Pro seems to be running ok so far.

Look on the notebook makers site and see if there are any updates or information about not supporting 'Pro'. This seems strange.

please post the specifications of your system when ask for help. It makes it easier for us to address your issues.

No one here is a mindreader!

Tedster said:
please post the specifications of your system when ask for help. It makes it easier for us to address your issues.

No one here is a mindreader!

Did you look at the title of my post? XP! Take is easy!

ashurn2001 said:
I just purchased a notebook this spring
Where, at an Antiques Roadshow?
Your laptop specs are not necessarily overwhelming!

Processor: 366Mhz
Memory: 256RAM
Videocard: NeoMagic 256AV
Soundcard/Speakers: NeoMagic 256AV
Hard Disk(s): IBM Dara
Case: Dell Laptop
Comments on system #1: Win2k

W2K is a lot more forgiving than XP, let alone XP Pro.
You're lucky that it runs at all!

That still does not explain why XP-Pro would not install.

Not sure if this is related, but I read in a similar post in one of our forums (within the last 2 weeks anyway), that some manufacturers 'block' part of the harddisk, to prevent other installations than the original one.
I assume this would include the MBR and some boot-sectors.
'Lifting' this limit (in the BIOS if I remember correctly) lets you then install what you want.
Do an 'advanced' search with keywords such as laptop/bios/harddisk etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back