Problems Wireless Networking Ubuntu 6.06 (Linux n00b here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmyofKirb

Hello everyone,

First of all I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read this read.
I just installed Ubuntu 6.06 on my Compaq Presario 2545US and I am unable to connect to any wireless network. I have checked the device manager and the built in wireless card seems to performing correctly. I don't have a static IP address with my DSL, so I'm using DHCP to automatically detect everything (DNS server, gateway, subnet mask, etc.) As far as I can tell, its not successfully detecting them. I can't connect directly to the router (http://192.168.1.1.
I tried connecting via ethernet and it works just fine. I ensured I have the right ESSID and hex key for the WEP, but still no luck. Below are the specifics of my system. Please save my sanity and help me figure this out.

Processor: 2.4Ghz P4
RAM: 1GB PC3200
HDD: 60.0 GB
Wireless Card: Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g PCI

Thanks!
Edit/Delete Message

ArmyofKirb said:
I tried connecting via ethernet and it works just fine. I ensured I have the right ESSID and hex key for the WEP, but still no luck. Below are the specifics of my system. Please save my sanity and help me figure this out.
Have you tried wireless w/o the encryption? should be much easier and it would prove the
wireless adaptor is working.

jobeard said:
Have you tried wireless w/o the encryption? should be much easier and it would prove the
wireless adaptor is working.

Yeah, theres an unencrypted network that my windows desktop can see and connect to. Part of my problem is that I don't know how to view available wireless networks in ubuntu 6.06, at least not in the same way as you can in windows xp. I get the whole "activating" dialog box with ubuntu, but I'm not getting any sort of confirmation that I'm joining the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back