Problems with 1 bootdisk + 2 disks in raid1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey There,

This my first raid system so, i just bought a new intel D975XBX supporting Raid 0, 1 and 5.

I have 3 disks: 1 Maxtor 300gb for booting, and 2 WD 320 for mirroring (Raid0)

I installed the OS on the Maxtor - everything fine here!

When i tried to change de Bios and i put it in raid mode( to access the WD and config in raid 0) the pc does´t boot. I think i understand that - the bios is assuming that all drives in the sata ports are a single raid, and they really aren´t.

What i have here is a mix of sata and raid, can i have that?? i tried everything

Need help here!!

PS: MOBO supports

Four Serial ATA interfaces with RAID support (four additional interfaces available with optional discrete RAID controller)

One parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support

1 Maxtor 300gb for booting, and 2 WD 320 for mirroring (Raid0)
RAID 0 is striping, RAID 1 is mirroring. Which do you have?

With three drives, you should look into RAID 5... It's pretty neat, utilizes all three drives in a single RAID and is better than RAID 1 in several respects.

the bios is assuming that all drives in the sata ports are a single raid, and they really aren´t.
The BIOS won't really assume anything you don't specify. In your RAID BIOS, you should be able to create a RAID configuration. Then in the regular system bIOS, set your boot order correctly to boot from your RAID.

For several reasons, I want to use only two disks therefore Raid 1 is my choice (for mirroring).
The other Sata has the OS.

Is this possible? Can I create a RAID configuration in the RAID BIOS and in the regular BIOS set it to Boot from the SATA?

Thanks in advanced for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back