Problems With 9600 Video Card - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting this strange noise coming from my graphics card. At first I thought it might be dust, so i took it out and cleaned up the dust and I was still getting the noise. So then I formatted my computer and reinstalled all the drivers and I'm stilling getting it.

I have an ATI Gexcube 9600 XT 128MB.

Other specs are:
AMD ATHLON XP 2800+
Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2 nFORCE2 Mother Board 400FSB, 8xAPG. DDR400
256 DDR RAM

I bought the computer last august and it was working fine till about a month ago when the noise first appeared. I took it to a friends place but when I got there the noise didn't occur. Then a few weeks ago it started happening again.

The sound seems to be centralized on the fan area of the graphics card. I tried running my PC with the case open to figure it out, and when ever I touched my video card's fan the sound stopped. Sometimes it would stop for maybe 15 mins and up an hour, other times the sound would start happing again straight away. The sound always begins when ever I start my computer. The last couple of days I've needed the computer for some urgent work, so I've been stopping the sound in the earily described method, but it is become really irrating.

I have recorded the sound so you can check it out to further clarify what I mean

Has anyone experianced this before? Or are you aware of something that I could do to solve this problem.

Look forward to your replies.
Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It sounds like you videocard fan is either faulty, or catching on something.

Check carefully, and look to see if there is anything touching the fan. If not then maybe a replacement is in order.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It sounds like you videocard fan is either faulty, or catching on something.

Check carefully, and look to see if there is anything touching the fan. If not then maybe a replacement is in order.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean replace the whole video card? or just the video card fan? And if you mean the fan, where can I purchase a replacement?

Thanks again

Check the fan blades

I have had the exact same problem for the past couple of weeks. The fan seemed loose on its axle -- i.e., it wasn't always spinning as fast as the axle seemed to be turning -- but touching it got it back on track (and not making the noise) temporarily. I was going to see if I could get the fan off to reglue it, but when I started to monkey with it, I saw that there was one cracked and slightly twisted fan blade. Figuring that the blade had something to do with problem, I removed the blade altogether (basically tearing it the rest of the way at the crack) and the problem sounds have been gone since. Maybe you've got something similar. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back