Problems with AMD 2700+ on Asus A7N8X Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought all the components to built myself a computer. I got an Asus A7N8X motherboard, AMD Ahtlon 2700+, 512MB Ram, Geforce FX5600 256MB video card, etc.....it all went together pretty smoothly and runs fine. However, I am having a very frustrating problem. When the computer boots, it first displays the video card info, then the processor info, then counts the ram, and finally detects the IDE devices and continues to boot up. On the line that it displays the processor info, it says that I have an AMD Athlon 1500+. I know for a fact that I bought a 2700+. I bought it retail at Comp USA. Also, when I right click on My Computer and go to properties, it says that I have an AMD Athlon 1500+ at 1.29Ghz. That is WWAAYYY off! I have a 2700+ that runs at 2.2Ghz. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this!? Is the bios misreading the processor or something? It is frustrating that I spent $200 on a processor that is running at half of what is suppose to, and not even showing up correctly. I need to get this taken care of ASAP because I really need the use the full power of the 2700+ that I paid good money for. I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could help!!!!

Hey man, thanks a lot! I knew there was something up with the bus settings, but I thought they would optimize for say a 2400+ and above at the factory considering that it supports up to a 3000+. Initially when I changed the bus speed, it wouldn't start up. So, I looked around at everything that has to do with the bus on the bios, and tried all the settings, but nothing worked. I finally noticed that the bios was set to stop POST on every error....so I set it to never stop and it worked fine at a bus of 333 and my processor finally shows up at a 2700+ with 2.17Ghz. I tried to over clock by setting to aggressive in the bios, but it wouldn't start......i would like to try to squeeze a little more out of the AMD since they can handle it, but for now I am very happy that my processor finally shows up like it should and that my fsb is up as high as it will probably go. Thanks again for the help man!!!

Hey I'm putting together the same configuration and was wondering what RAM you chose to got with the mobo/cpu combo. I've seen corsair xms 3200 recomended, but I haven't done this before and want to get the right combination to run 1 gig of ram in dual configuration.

Thanks!

gallois; go with 2 sticks of TwinX 512MB PC3200 if you want 1 gig. This way you can use the dual channel feature for a little added performance (around 5%).

The two sticks of RAM need to be the exact same type so it's preferable that you buy the TwinX pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back