Problems with CPU overclocking resetting after a reboot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan29121

I have been noticing that every time I reboot my computer my CPU overclocks are set back to default. I went in the bios and the only thing I have to do to get it back to my overclocked speeds is change the "Allow clock control" option from "disabled" to "Enabled", save then reboot. What can I do to change it so it always saves it at that setting? Thanks for your help in advance.

its a brand new motherboard so im not sure if its bad. The entire motherboard settings are not reset. Its just that one setting. But that one setting is the setting that will allow or not allow overclocking. If it was a bad battery I would think all of the settings would be reset not just one of them. Any new ideas?

You're right. That would not be the only setting to be affected. Although there is some risk involved, you could try upgrading the BIOS. If there is a newer version, it might have fixed this problem, assuming it is a BIOS related one.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps you are overclocking too much and to protect itself it is disabling overclocking.

Well currently I am overclocking only to 3.0 which is not too high of a clock with my cpu. I have a vcore set at 1.4 and a fsb at 334. Everything seemed to be working a few weeks ago, but then again I wasnt checking to see if it was overclocked every time I rebooted. I guess I could try a new bios update. i hope I dont screw anything up.

My parts are as follows

| Cooler Master Cosmos | GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R |
|Core 2 Quad Q6600 GO | EVGA 8800GT 512MB |
|OCZ GameXStream 700W | 4GB G.SKILL DDR2 800 PC2 6400 | Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA |
| Samsung 245BW 24" |
| Windows XP Professional & Vista Ultimate x64 (Dual Boot) |

EDIT: When I first overclocked it I didnt disable the "C1E" and the "EIST" options. When they were both enabled I experienced a fluctuating FSB multiplier so I disabled both of them. It fixed the fluctuating FSB multiplier but It caused this. If I enable both of them this whole resetting thing goes away. What should I do?

enable both of them.

The throttling back of the multiplier is normal. as soon as it has something important to do it will jump to full speed.

well dont quote me on this but not all cpu's are able to be overclocked, back a long time ago i tried to oveclock an old p2 800mh and the cpu itself was actuly locked maybe somthing simalar or atleast anouther posibilty to look into

Nobody actually directly overclocks their CPU these days. It is indeed impossible (or extremely difficult), because the clock multiplier is locked and has been for years. Today, if someone overlocks their CPU it's by the result of increasing the FSB frequency. Your CPU runs at a multiple of the FSB, thus, increasing the FSB frequency causes the clock frequency of the CPU to rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back