Problems with crossover networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,, here the dilemma!

just inherited a new computer and i thought well maybe seen as i my dad's gonna need one i would network the two together without using a HUB baring in mind im running XP Home.

Heres the things i purchased;
1.a Q-TEC 590N PCI NETWORK CARD capable of changing from 10/100mbps.
Theres already a intel 10mbps card installed in the HOST.

2. A standard crossover cable

ive tried everything humanely possible to install the new network card and get it to work and it just isnt happening!
the error is

"network cable unplugged" although the cable is brand new!

ive tried the card in all the PCI slots and removed all my other PCI adaptors and messed about with many settings to no avail; also tested this card in the host computer and had the same result, it cannot possibly be the Adaptor because its the second one ive had and i replaced the other one at the shop for peice of mind.
I even disabled the ACPI to standard PC and still the same "network cable unplugged"!

Could there possibly some Xp compatibility issues or am i missing something??
can anyone help?????????????

Are you absolutely 100% sure it is a crossover cable and it is not broken?

Look at the plugs side by side. If the wires inside are in the same pattern then it is not a crossover cable. Also, go and test the cable somewhere where you know network is OK.

The wires are completely different and besides the cable is less than 24 hrs old, aswell as the network card,, the network card on the HOST seems to be fine, its the new one thats the bother, could possibly be IRQ problems,, but im unsure.

by the way,,,

on the back of most network adaptors is some lights, they lights are on even when the computer isnt being stimulated by the server,. on the CLIENT computer which contains the new NIC the lights arent even on after installing support drivers etc,

its bugging me,, and i cannot find a solution to this damm problem,,

It could simply be that the card is faulty. If it didn't work on both machines, you don't need to look any further.

Do you know what chip the network card is using ? realtek ? Via ?

The card is using a VIA chip, im sure of that,,,, but like you said about the card being faulty,,, it cannot be,, because its brand new,,, i thought the other brand new one i bought was faulty, but it turned out that he replaced it with another brand new one and the same trouble occured,,

possible incompatability issue????

The card is using a VIA chip, im sure of that,,,, but like you said about the card being faulty,,, it cannot be,, because its brand new,,, i thought the other brand new one i bought was faulty, but it turned out that he replaced it with another brand new one and the same trouble occured,,

possible incompatability issue????

or could it be possible something to do with my board?????

There's no garanty a new card won't be faulty. It can be DOA ( Dead On Arrival ). It happens with motherboards, Ram & pretty much all other devices so why wouldn't it happen with a network card ?

Try it on another machine if you wish to loose some more time with it, otherwise send it back ( or bring it back ) & get it replaced.

yeah ok ill take ur advice, but two network cards both dead on arrival and both sold to me
i suppose that may suggest that the whole
bulk of these cards are all DUD.

why me :(

How about setting the link speed manually on the 100/10 card? The specs may say that the NIC has speed autosense but that doesn't mean it actually works. Set both cards to 10 Mbit half duplex and see if it works that way.

ok,, ill try that, could you tell me how im not sure if ive came across how to do that,,

but dont forget the card is registering "cable unplugged",, plus theres no light on the back,,

i think it may be buggered

It's not the cards or wire.. maybe

it could be the fact you might be using a fire wall im stil using mine but they all have settings for networks like these internet is medium and trust is off(low) on Zone Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back