Problems with Ethernet and USB, probably Mobo issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanslayer

Hey Guys,
I just recently rebuilt my old desktop. Its a XP Pro, Athlon 2400, 1 GB ram, 6600 GT, 120 GB, and a VIA m7vit pro mobo. It has always run fine, and I've rebuilt it at least 5 times before. This time, I moved it into a new case. Fired it up, and the internet and usb didn't work. Reinstalled 3 times, each time with the same problems. The Ethernet port doesn't show under 'new connections' and the USB mouse doesn't work after the first reboot. I can't imagine what is causing the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nathan

Thanks man.
I've done that. Problem is, the Ethernet driver doesn't work. Any more ideas about what could be wrong?

Also, part of the problem is the fact that Windows setup doesn't even recognize the network (meaning ethernet jack).
Any ideas?

spartanslayer said:
Thanks man
I've done that. Problem is, the Ethernet driver doesn't work. Any more ideas about what could be wrong?

Also, part of the problem is the fact that Windows setup doesn't even recognize the network (meaning ethernet jack).
Any ideas?
A leads to B; if the ethernet driver 'does not work' then Windows can't recognize the network -- cause and effect.

hum; you need to make sure you've installed the correct driver for your NIC.
Using the Device Manager, get the details of which one it is and the google
for that like "driver for xxx yyy zzz"

delete the existing and install the new one ; if after the install, there's a yellow or red flag, then the hardware is dead. if not, then you should be ok.

plug in the cable and there's a green light near the rj45 slot; it should come on. If not, your cable is suspect.

Thanks man. First, the slot light does show up on the lan slot. The connection appears to be working. However the lan slot doesn't show up under any hardware. Not in the Device Manager, and not in lavalys, or anything. It seems like it doesn't exist. I am installing the right driver, but the driver can't find the device. Any more ideas? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back