Problems with FX 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backstab

Hi,

I am having some problems running some games on my computer.
I have a AMD64 3200 512MB Ram and a GeForce FX5200 card.
The problem is that when I play some games ( Rome:Total War, DeltaForce Blackhawk Down, Battlecruiser3000 , Starwars Battlefront, Battlefront Veitnam) the games would freeze for about 2-10 seconds every minute or so or the screen will go all patchy with great swaths of color striped across the screen. I ave down loaded the latest drivers. Reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything . Any ideas ?

Are there any newer games you have that do work? Have you tried older drivers? Have you installed anything new recently? How hot is the graphics card running?
btw welcome to techspot :wave:

paranoid guy said:
Are there any newer games you have that do work? Have you tried older drivers? Have you installed anything new recently? How hot is the graphics card running?
btw welcome to techspot :wave:

Thanks,

Are there any newer games you have that do work? Unreal Tournament 4 works fine, Counter Strike works fine. Havent tried any very new games but (DEont think my card would handle them)
Have you tried older drivers? no
Have you installed anything new recently? no
How hot is the graphics card running? dont know

Did the games work before and has this just started happening? You can find your card's temp in nvidia settings if you have it. Check your quick items in the corner. Don't worry if you don't have temperature sensors with the card, I'm not sure if that card would have them. Right now it sounds like an overheating or a driver issue. The card isn't new, is it?

paranoid guy said:
Did the games work before and has this just started happening? You can find your card's temp in nvidia settings if you have it. Check your quick items in the corner. Don't worry if you don't have temperature sensors with the card, I'm not sure if that card would have them. Right now it sounds like an overheating or a driver issue. The card isn't new, is it?
I have had this card for about 2 years now, I had brought it over from another computer I had. Never had any problems like this with the old computer.

old is sometimes best

I too have an evga fx 5200 and I use some of the oldest drivers...from the 70's drivers to the presents 90's..nvidia has hardly added anything concerning the fx5200..so its all unnecessary software and patches IMO
from personal experience...the newer drivers have caused multiple BSOD

It's not always necessary to have the latest and greatest drivers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

blue_dragon said:
I too have an evga fx 5200 and I use some of the oldest drivers...from the 70's drivers to the presents 90's..nvidia has hardly added anything concerning the fx5200..so its all unnecessary software and patches IMO
from personal experience...the newer drivers have caused multiple BSOD

I rolled back the drivers but it did not fix the problem

Ok, tell us how hot it's running if you can. And could you give us your psu wattage and the amps on the 12v rail(on the sticker) seeing as you changed the card from another pc maybe it's psu was a bit better.

paranoid guy said:
Ok, tell us how hot it's running if you can. And could you give us your psu wattage and the amps on the 12v rail(on the sticker) seeing as you changed the card from another pc maybe it's psu was a bit better.
I'll do that tonight..... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back