Problems with HD's & Blue Screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

5aq1b

I have a problem with bloody blue screens!

Main Drive (C: 320GB drive is installed and is connected to a power cable, let's call it '1'. On that cable there's obviously 2 power connectors, let's call them 1.1 and 1.2. The drive is connected to 1.1 and if i connect the new 320GB drive to 1.2 and start transferring data over, i will get the blue screen.

So i decided to take out the new 320GB drive and insert the new 160GB drive to see if there's a problem with the drive itself. Again, connected it to '1.2' and got blue screen!

Ok, so i took out the 1.2 connector and inserted a connector which was on a free cable, '2', which again has two power connectors '2.1' and '2.2'. Plugged it into 2.1 and started transfer of data from C drive to my new drive that i just inserted and it worked a treat.

I though ok, we're gettin somewhere. So after the successful data transfer, i inserted the new 320GB drive again and connected it to connector 2.2 and tested a transfer between the two new drives on the same cable and got the bloody blue screen.

I'm sometimes receiving the blue screen with message:
"Kernel inpage stack error" with code 0x00000077 or a blue screen with code 0x000000F4.

I dont know if its a power issue, or if its jumper settings which i dont think it can be cuz they're Sata drives.

HELP!

PS> I ran memtest overnight and found no error in my RAM. and. .. .. .AND I think what i just typed was useless as i just tried a data transfer from old drive to one of the new ones again and it blue screened. I think the successful data transfer was just luck?
Somebody please help!

Your post is somewhat confusing. When you say power cable i think im correct in thinking you actually mean data cable??

You say you have both hard drives on the same cable and that they are sata? Not possible, only ata drives can be on the same cable together!

Well i have the red data cable which is independent for each hard drive like you say, but the drive has to be powered by the cables coming from the PSU, which are the ones im referring to.

So, that means that you have a dodgy power cable then. Can you describe these power cables to me? I.e. how may wires run to them and what colour the wires are. Some sata hdd's can use the old style molex.

Warning!! if either hdd supports sata and ata power cables, do not on any account have both types of plug fitted. Doing so absloutely will cause damage.

My Seagate's dont hav the old style sockets.

Orange, Black, Red, Black & Yellow are the colours on the connectors.

Your only option is to get an ata to sata power adapter then, shouldnt cost much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back