Problems with Hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Hp nx6110 my stepson had . He ended up with a broken screen so he brought it to me I have replaced the screen. and tried starting it up . Got through the power on password but won't let me get to the hard drive it asks for a password for the hard drive and no luck Asked stepson and he said he never put a password on the hard drive . What can I do to remedy this problem

Replace the hard drive? If your stepson doesn't remember having a hard drive password, then it may be the same as the power-on password.

And there are usually two passwords for both powerup and the hard drive - administrator and user

Hi I had some troubleshooting with my laptop, it was not the same as yours but I found a great tech support site with free live support that help you solve this kind of problems.

Here is the page for HP nx6110 Troubleshooting

I hope it helps

Gracy

Bypassing Passwords....

Do you have a copy of the operating system that is on the laptop? If it is a problem with XP, just put the disc in, have your system boot off of that disc and choose the "Repair" option when it comes up. Watch your screen and when it says "Loading System Devices" in the lower left corner, press and hold "Control" and hit your F10. This will then open a window and you will be allowed to go in and change or delete Admin passwords or change it to one you remember! Remove your disc from the CDROM drive and restart your machine. It has worked for me in the past when someone had an Admin password they never set.

Beats the heck out of replacing a hard drive. That advice sounds like it came from an HP tech reading from a script. A few years ago they would just tell you to reformat and recover.

Please, let us know how one can do anything with a password-locked hard drive using a vanilla XP CD.

Read the threads before replying, OK?

Mei' Culpa!
Please excuse my post to lack of sleep, plumbing problems and being a dumb a** in not doing as Nodsu said: "Read the threads before replying".

I appreciate the polite advice given and hope my post caused no one any undue stress or unnecessary attempts at solving their problem.

No problem :) I do it all the time myself, the only difference is that I have the power to remove these accidents :p

I found out I have the POWER to send my laptop back to HP for them to worry about instead of me. Warranty is a wonderful thing! Too many problems and glitches for such a new system... I'll probably get it back in worse shape than when I sent it this morning!

Thanks for the gracious comeback Nodsu. May your GOOD Karma increase tenfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back