Problems with internet staying connected

Status
Not open for further replies.
The internet of the apartment i just moved into is set up (this is how the IT guy explained it to me) so that every 10 min or so it scans the online programs currently running and if any of those programs contian a "banned" signature the internet is shut down and then comes right back on, this results in my having to relog on anything that meets those signatures, namely World of Warcraft and itunes radio.

Any advice or suggestions would be great

Wow that blows, what ISP do you have, so I know to stay clear of them. I dont see how registered programs such as I-tunes and WOW would be considered "banned" maybe the IT guy is just blowing smoke up your **** to get you off the phone. I would try calling back and speaking with a new guy.

As I read the post, it's not the ISP but the apartment manager that has control of the setup.
Apparently you get service from your landlord -- I've seen this before.

In a shared environment like this (ie: one connection shared by all apartments)
you're just going to have to adjust your expectations. Playing games and
downloading music or p2p file sharing are bandwidth hogs and the admin is trying
to give equal access to all users.

You might investigate a bandwidth control solution (which uses QoS) and have the admin
NOT disable access if you promise to throttle your bandwidth usage.

Yes you get access issues, but you know that you're impacting all other tenants with these activities --
so literally -- you've brought this upon yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back