Problems with my laptop's internet (can't find where to post this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kara

Hello everyone. I am having some problems with my laptop. It runs off a wireless router that is located next to my desktop. My desktop is working, but my laptop says that a local area connection is unplugged and there are no wireless networks in range. This randomly happened last night as I was just online, and it hasn't fixed since. I have rebooted both the wireless router in this room and the router in my dad's room, and I rebooted the modem in his room as well.

Please help me out and do remember, I know very little about computers so don't be too vague.

Hi and welcome to TechSpot :) i hope you enjoy your stay :D

You should be ok in the security and web forum ;)

How do you connect to the network, do you use an integrated WiFi thing in the pc or do you have a PCMCIA card (you'll know if you have a card because it will stick out the side of the pc)

Well, I really don't know...my ex boyfriend set this all up over a year ago. I use a wireless linksys router. I don't think it is a card, pretty sure it isn't.

ok, if you're using windows xp then go on start > connect to > open network connections (cant' remember if that's the exact name) and find your wireless device in the list. if you right click and click on repair then it may help.

if you don't know which item in the list is your wireless device then give me the names of what comes up and i'll help you out :)

Yea, I tried that earlier it doesn't help :[

At the bottom of my main page I have two icons, one that says "wireless network connection is not connected. Wireless network is unavailable." and another that says the local area connection is unplugged. Under network connections I have wireless network connections (not connected and wont connect when I try) 1394 connection 2 (connected) and local area connection (network cable unplugged).

if you have a spare ethernet (network) cable lying around, or have a pc who's cable you can use, then try connecting straight to the router with that. it means you'll be connected over a cable but it will make sure your pc doesn't like network connections for whatever reason.

have you tried repairing the 1394 connection? this will always come up as connected but it won't hurt to try and repair that too.

also you could try disabling the wireless connection, restarting the pc and then enabling it again.

If what Daveskater said doesn't work, please try this.

Go to start-->run, type in ncpa.cpl. Press Enter.

Right-click on your wireless connection and select View Available Wireless Networks.

If the wireless network shows up there, connect to it if possible. If it doesn't show up or if you can't connect to it, go onto the computer that's connected to the router with a cable. Again, go to start-->run, type in ncpa.cpl, and press Enter. Double-click on the wired network network connection, then click the Support tab. What does it say for Default Gateway?

I tried to repair the 1394 but the tcp/ip is not enabled for it.

I unplugged the blue cable which I think is the ethernet from the back of the tower to the back of my laptop and it didn't do anything earlier.

I am disabling the connection and restarting now.

The laptop can't find any wireless connections either, which is very weird. I can usually find mine and my neighbors, but now there is nothing.

Edited by Moderator: No need for a double post if there are no replies between your current post and the last post, unless bumping the thread. In that case, please wait at least 24 hours before doing so. Otherwise, simply use the "Edit post" button instead.

Ok kitty, I did what you said. On this computer (the desktop) I did that and it came up with the network connections and all I see is the local area connection which is connected on this computer of course. I do not see wired network connections anywhere though....I do see a trouble shooting option.

On the laptop it says not connect under the wireless network, and it wont connect when I try.

Like kitty500cat said, jobeard is a better resource for this.

Hang tight, he'll eventually help you.

:)

Lol ok well I hope he comes in here. I am at a loss now. It seems that there is a switch or something I need to flip on, or some way to turn the wireless on.

When I try to enable it, it says that it is not connected. And it is still saying that their is a cable unplugged...

First off:
1) 1394 is the Firewire adaptor; ignore it
2) the Lan Connection is for the Wired Ethernet NIC card (not the wireless)

Use your device mgr to verify that the drivers are ok
(sure they were once upon a time, but now there's a problem so we need to check it all out)
right-click My Computer->properties->Hardware Tab->Device Mgr button
Use View->By Device Type

click the + next to Network Adapters

Q? are there any Yellow or Red flags on the icons?

If so, we need to fix the drivers, else it's a configuration issue.
post back your findings and we'll go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back