Problems with Nat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SultanGris

I have a game im trying to play, its SupremeCommander, still in beta stage. Its a peer to peer game, and I can only connect to about 25 percent of the other people playing. there is a natrace test tool that checks the ports, I have attached it. However, I should point out that ever time I run the test, the port that it actually sends on is different, every time, though always in the 60000-60099 range so far, ive run it like 8 times.

I have set up my port forwarding, even tried virtual server, and dmz mode, still its always the same, I have a Dlink router, wbr 2310, and also I tried a linksys wrt54g, both have same results, im am running wireless, so unable to try without router. I am at a loss, I do not know that much about networking, and cannot figgure out why it wont send on the right port, or why the port it does send on changes every time. anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• NATTraceReport.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 7
Well you have answered your own question. You're using a beta version. Beta means use it at your own risk. Alot of areas not tested yet. So you shouldn't be so concerned about it not connecting only 25% of the time.

This is what you're getting:

Test 9: FAILED - NAT check, port 6112
NAT detected (Expected send on port 6112, went on port 60009 instead)
Test 10: SUCCESS - Direct UDP (port 9103)
success
Test 11: FAILED - NAT check, port 9103
NAT detected (Expected send on port 9103, went on port 60010 instead)
Test 12: SUCCESS - Direct UDP (port 30340)
success
Test 13: FAILED - NAT check, port 30340
NAT detected (Expected send on port 30340, went on port 60011 instead)
Test 14: SUCCESS - Direct UDP (port 30341)
success
Test 15: FAILED - NAT check, port 30341
NAT detected (Expected send on port 30341, went on port 60012 instead)

open the port for TCP/UDP or both from 60000 to 69999 try that..
But again you're using beta version it might work then it might not..

Ive tried DMZ, which opens them all, and most people have no problems connecting, its a small number who do, and i happen to be in that small number, and its late beta stage, where this problem shouldnt be a problem anymore.

I just dont know what or how its not sending on the right port, or how to make it do so. i need a network wizard. the fact that its a beta is not the issue, the issue is my computer is not sending the info from the right port.

I have no other computers on my network running, and no p2p programs running on my computer, that i know of, still my computer is not sending the info from the right port.

turn off nat in router set it to static ip address's
if that fails
disable dhcp
forward your ports settings in router from 59999 to 65000 both tcp and udp
contact local isp those ports may be flagged as virus trojun ports
the software should not be written to run on such a high port
should be configed for around 30000
got local firewall softs on check there for a denied flag

its supposed to go on 6112, but it doesnt, i cant figgure out whats making it go on the higher one instead.

How do i turn of nat in a router? i have seen no such setting, i have a dlink wrb 2310

The game uses 6112 and 9103 ports - UDP only - So double check and make sure you have these ports forwarded to the correct IP address. There should be no reason to re-assign certain ports to other ports pointing towards your computer, so don't get into that yet...

What ports should be open to play a Supreme Commander beta game?
Open port 6112 set for UDP traffic (this is the most common port used by online multiplayer games). A good tester for the 6112 port is at http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=63593
A more general-purpose one, called Shields Up!, can be found at http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Port 9103 must also be open for UDP, for the multiplayer matchmaking to work.

Also make sure that Supreme Commander and GPGNet * Supreme Commander appears on your Windows Firewall exception list (Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Exceptions Tab), as well also showing up as exceptions in any third-party firewalls (including those in anti-virus and anti-spam software). This list is EXE-centric and since SupCom and GPGNet have different EXEs, you need both entries.

I actually haven't heard any mention of disabling firewalls? XP, for example, comes with one built in and it is enabled by default. Make absolutely certain all software firewalls are disabled and even uninstalled (for troubleshooting purposes, of course).

yes, i always disable windows firewall no matter what, its crap, and i did have the ports set correctly, but it doesnt work, it still sends them on the other random ports, according to the test tool im using,

i did find a option to disable nat and turn it into an access point on my router, but it will not save that option, im thinking it might be because you need two routers before you can set one to access point so they dont conflict? not sure though. when i check the option, it greys out all my connection info, but when i click save, it just freezes, and wont save.

oddly, since the games latest patch, ive had better luck connecting after i took out the port forwarding info, though i still have problems.

i just dont know why my computer is sending on port 600XX instead of 6112 likes its supposed to be doing.

ive tried when no other computers are on my network, in case they were using that port for something, its still does it. its crazy insane.

I would generally recommend upgrading the firmware of your router, disabling UPnP etc.. But since you are using two routers, those things simply can't be the cause... short of a cosmic coincidence, of course.

Hmm... There's not much else to it though. You forwarded the ports on your router, disabled the firewall(s) and the game should be able to handle it from there.

Since the problem exists with two routers, it suggests your computer is the problem. Again, the only really good explanation would be a firewall.

So here is a question.. can you connect to your game without any problems if you plug in directly to your modem? This would help isolate your computer as the cause.

oddly, since the games latest patch, ive had better luck connecting after i took out the port forwarding info, though i still have problems.
So you can connect, perhaps occasionally? This would indicate your settings are OK, but there's another underlying problem. We should be focusing on a bug or reason for inconsistent behavior instead, if this is the case.

Also, just a random thought, but make sure you are using port forwarding and not port triggering.

Yes, i was using port forwarding, and its a peer to peer game, not client to server like most,

I am unable to plug directly into my modem, as im on wireless, and my internet connection is next door in a different house, and i dont feel like moving my computer around.

currently i can connect to about 50 percent of the people, or more, though, what is odd, is that i will play a game with a certain person, and immediatly after i will rehost again, and that same person sometimes cannot connect. its totally driving me crazy, why would it work once, and then not the second time. Most of the people in the game seem to have no problems, though some have the same problems as me. honestly, i think its the games fault, as i had no problems in a previous patch, but when running that port testing tool it says my computer is sending the info on ports 60XXX, XXX being diferent every time i run it, instead of sending on port 6112 like its supposed to be doing.

I have windows firewall disabled, and no other software firewalls on my computer

heres the latest nattrace report, though the first 8 times i ran it,it was on ports 60xxx, now its 6xxxx it seems. a few times it sends on the same ports, but most of the time its different every time i run the test.

NATTrace report (v0.92)

Generated: 2/4/2007 12:23:25 AM (2/4/2007 6:23:25 AM UTC)
Hostname: p4
adapter: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
addresses: 192.168.0.101
gateway: 192.168.0.1
adapter: MS TCP Loopback interface

Tests:
Test 1: SUCCESS - Connect to fixed IP
success
Test 2: SUCCESS - Perform DNS lookup
success
Test 3: SUCCESS - Connect to named host
success
Test 4: SUCCESS - Direct TCP to fixed IP
success
Test 5: SUCCESS - Direct TCP (web) to named host
success
Test 6: SUCCESS - Direct TCP (6112) to named host
success
Test 7: SUCCESS - Direct UDP (6112) to fixed IP
success
Test 8: SUCCESS - Direct UDP (6112) to named host
success
Test 9: FAILED - NAT check, port 6112
NAT detected (Expected send on port 6112, went on port 62801 instead)
Test 10: SUCCESS - Direct UDP (port 9103)
success
Test 11: FAILED - NAT check, port 9103
NAT detected (Expected send on port 9103, went on port 62804 instead)
Test 12: SUCCESS - Direct UDP (port 30340)
success
Test 13: FAILED - NAT check, port 30340
NAT detected (Expected send on port 30340, went on port 62805 instead)
Test 14: SUCCESS - Direct UDP (port 30341)
success
Test 15: FAILED - NAT check, port 30341
NAT detected (Expected send on port 30341, went on port 62806 instead)

4 tests failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back