Problems with new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkd39

I installed a new 80gb hard drive to run as slave with my old hard drive, but my computer only shows 7gb of the new hard drive. what's the problem :confused:

I fomatted it, ran fdisk and no change

The old IDE cables are 100% compatible with all PATA drives. The amount of wires only affects the data transfer speeds possible.

How old is your computer? It could be suffering from the 8.4GB barrier.

BIOS Update to Fix 8.4 Gig Barrier

BTW, it's a BIOS update that will address the 8.4 Gig barrier mentioned by Nodsu. If your computer was purchased this century, it's probably not the 8.4 Gig barrier that's causing your problem. When was it purchased?

What shows up in Disk Management? (control panel, administrative tools)
Does the drive show up as full size there?

Travel over to bootdisk and grab a WinME boot disk...
Re-run FDisk and format. Re-boot and you should be good to go...

patio. :cool:

computer was bought in '99, 2000. it shows 80gb in disk management. i did fdisk and re formatted. nothing :suspiciou

Where is 7 Gigs displayed?

Where are you seeing 7 Gigs? In the BIOS, during Boot, or in Windows somewhere?

Delete the partitions in disk management and then set them up again in disk management. The fdisk program is your problem here I think.

Then check for a BIOS update since that's what is reporting that size to Windows.

patio. :cool:

FYI, on an Asus AV7333/AthlonXP I wanted to add a third HD as slave to a DVD-rom on IDE2, using the existing 40-wire cable.
BIOS recognised the HD, but Windows 2000/SP4 would not. Only after I changed to an 80-wire IDE-cable AND changed the HD to master AND disconnected the DVD did W2K recognise that HD.
I have to add that the HD in question was setup in another PC, also with an 80-wire cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back