Problems with PCI SATA controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hallo

First of all greetings to you all, as you can see I’m new in here, but I do hope that there is someone in here that can help me.

I have an older computer, so when I bought a new hard drive I also bought a PCI controller so I could buy a SATA hard drive.

My problem is this.

To transfer files to and from the disk no problem.
Browsing the HD when I had some files there seemed ok, I couldn’t notice any problems.
But when I try to watch a small movie in DivX on that drive, my computer freeze so I have to reboot. I have tried the same movie file on my other drive, and it opens and plays perfect.

The controller I bought is this:
http://www.sunsway.com.hk/products/pci-sata.html

The hard drive I bought is this one:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Har...es/HardDiskDrive_SpinPointTSeries_HD401LJ.asp

It’s formatted as standard. I haven’t any partition on it, its just on big disk of 400 GB.

It’s a jumper back on the hard drive that in some rare cases have to be used.
It’s a SATA 1.5GB/s speed limit jumper setting (Only for SATA 3,0GB/s products)

Well I tried this jumper, then my computer freeze right away when I opened my new HD.’

I hope someone can help me out.

Regards
Thomas

Well, if you had asked beforehand, we would have told you that SiI products are crap :)

Try updating the card's firmware and download the latest drivers from the internet.

Thanks for the answer Nodsu

I have the latest drivers, but I’m going to check the firmware.

I’m also going to update my bios, I just have to figure out a way first since i don’t have my floppy drive connected since the wire to the floppy is to short.

You could remove the floppy drive from the bay and leave it hanging from the cables (or put it on some support) temprorarily..

Also, you can always use the floppy emulation feature of bootable CDs.

Mind you, I have seen el cheapo SATA cards that have their firmware on a ROM chip so that you cannot flash it.

For your floppy drive you can also buy a longer cable. They are not expensive.

Thanks for all your answers.

Well I solved it. A friend of mine has a 400GB IDE drive, so we swap hard drives and he gets my 400 SATA disk. The controller I bought seems to give many others that bought it similar problems.

But thanks for all your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back