problems with reformatting with win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludwig

I've reformatted plenty of times before but this has never happened to me that I recall..

I placed in win xp home into dvd rom. restarted. deleted the partition. as I went to create the partition it won't let me pick wich format type. It shows just the size that i can pick for the format but not able to pick NTFS at all. When I create with what I can it shows [new (Raw)] as the format. When I go to install it says that I can't install on that format.

I have a UATA and a SATA HDD.. both are 120GB..

Unbuntu is installed on the sata hdd.
windows xp home was installed on the uata hdd.

All I want to do is reformat my uata with windows xp again.

almost forgot to add.

when I created the partition it don't show it actually doing it. I mean with the progress bar, or whatever it's called. It just pops to the partition menu in seconds.

so you want to use the whole UATA drive reformatted as NTFS and install winXP. Is that right?

From the DVD boot, can you find tools, and use FDISK to clean the drive of all partitions, then recreate the partition again.

Where you dual booting with Unbuntu? It may have put it's (Linux) boot loader on the boot drive (windows drive). That may be messing things up with windows install/partitioning tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back