Problems with Sapphire Radeon 9500

Status
Not open for further replies.

schacker99

Alright...here is the deal...

I recently purchased a new computer system and one of the more expensive purchases was the video card, which is a Sapphire Radeon 9500 (Atlantis) 128 MB card. The main issue is that I can't seem to play any games. The games that I have been experiencing problems with are Rise of Nations, Dungeon Siege, and Black and White. I can load the games, and in the instance of Rise...play them, however my computer either freezes up or restarts on its own. I have since downloaded the most recent drivers for the card but that does not seem to work. If you have any suggestions I would be very much appreciative...Thanks.

you might want to try completely uninstalling the drivers and reloading them. add/remove does not do an adequate job of completely removing old drivers.

use a program like driver cleaner V1.9 you can get it here.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=28

also what is the PSU you have in your computer? it could be that your PSU is not delivering enough power to the video card pay particualr attention to how much the PSU delivers on the 12V rail.

As ISS said, what kind of PSU are you using? The brand name would be helpful and also your PSU needs to be at least 300w (which can be dangerous). 350w would be much more sufficient (which is what I use for my 9700 Pro) but for anything lower than 400w you would need a high quality PSU such as Enermax to be safe.

Also, I am not sure about the 9500's but does your 9500 have a molex connector? In other words does it need to be connected straight into your power supply? If so make sure that it is plugged in.

The power supply is 350 watts...I can't think of the model offhand or whether or not the card requires a direct plug in to the power supply...I will have to check it when I get home.

As far as wiping the drivers clean...would I then install the updated drivers I got from ATI's website???

What about updates concerning the motherboard?

Like I said with Rise, I can go without a problem for hours on end one time...and then the next I will be playing for 1/2 hour and it restarts on me. So I don't know what the deal is? And it will load up Dugeon Siege and I can start a game...but as soon as I use the mouse to click on an item...or creature or something of that nature...it restarts.

the radeon 9500 series of cards do have a molex connector for connecting to the power supply.

yes after cleaning out the old drivers load the ones you downloaded from ATI.

if you do not know the exact model of ABIT board you have download aida 32 a freeware program that will tell you the make model and manufacturer of all the hardware on your system. then you can check the abit site for any updates for the mobo.

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

suggestions

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what case/power supply I should be looking at to make sure that this doesn't happen...I need one that will be able to handle a video card that plugs directly into it...

problem solved (i think)

So it wasn't the powersupply that was causing me problems. I "rented" an Antec 480 W TruPower PS and I still had the same problems as before. However, I did see in another thread a problem very similar to mine...so I am going to do what he did and see if that takes care of it. Which was.
Got it working, thanks to a friend at work...

FYI:

http://www.intel.com/design/softwar...latform/inf.htm

--------------------
The Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility installs
to the target system the Windows* INF files that outline to
the operating system how the Intel(R) chipset components will
be configured. This is needed for the proper functioning of
the following features:

- Core PCI and ISAPNP Services
- AGP Support
- IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support
- USB Support
- Identification of Intel(R) chipset components in
the Device Manager
--------------------

Installing this thing made AGP stop sucking.

and installing the application accelerator...and see if that works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back