Problems with the Lynksys WRT54G-S router. please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I’m having major problems with my router. We have a linksys WRT54GS, with a desktop connected to it via cable and my laptop running on wireless. Things were ok until a few weeks ago, when my connection started dropping more often (but it would immediately connect by itself a few seconds later). But now, I can’t even connect to the internet. Here’s the detail:
At first, I couldn’t even connect to the router, although my laptop would pick up the signal. The router is set to have a network key (WPA or WPA II), so I played around with the connection properties and changed the network authentication to OPEN from SHARED and left data encryption to WEP. Now this time I can connect to the router, access the router’s setting and access the other computer, but can’t browse the net. Just for ease, I’ve disabled the router’s security mode now.
I’m running Windows XP Security Update 2, and I have a Intel Wireless Network card 802.11 b/g.
Did I mention HOW ANNOYING this is? I also had another linksys, the WRT54G, and that thing died on me too a while ago.
And yes, I have the latest firmware.
Thanks guys.

sami said:
Hi
I’m having major problems with my router. We have a linksys WRT54GS, with a desktop connected to it via cable and my laptop running on wireless. Things were ok until a few weeks ago, when my connection started dropping more often (but it would immediately connect by itself a few seconds later). But now, I can’t even connect to the internet. Here’s the detail:
At first, I couldn’t even connect to the router, although my laptop would pick up the signal. The router is set to have a network key (WPA or WPA II), so I played around with the connection properties and changed the network authentication to OPEN from SHARED and left data encryption to WEP. Now this time I can connect to the router, access the router’s setting and access the other computer, but can’t browse the net. Just for ease, I’ve disabled the router’s security mode now.
I’m running Windows XP Security Update 2, and I have a Intel Wireless Network card 802.11 b/g.
Did I mention HOW ANNOYING this is? I also had another linksys, the WRT54G, and that thing died on me too a while ago.
And yes, I have the latest firmware.
Thanks guys.
Sounds to me like an internet IP problem. Try unplugging the Modem from power for about 1 min then plug it back in. If that doesn't work try unplugging both the Router and the Modem for 1 min then plug in the Modem THEN the router. See if that refreshes the IP Address.

The router has the latest firmware of course?

Check any auto-disconnect options in the router setup. Most likely the issue is with your modem or cable/phone line.

Believe you and me, I've unplugged EVERYTHING a 1000 times without any success.
From what I see with my unexpert eyes, the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway seem to be all correct.

well, the 1001 time worked for some odd reason! i've heard the router is a good one... u think there's something wrong with my wireless hardware?

You can access the router and the other computer. The wireless is obviously working just fine.

The problem is your modem, the line or maybe the WAN side of the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back