Probs downloading large files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

non.basic

Yo,

Right now I'm trying to download a service pack for someone but its not working! It gets up to a certain amount and then kind of freezes, the transfer rate is still there, everything looks ok but theres no activity. :(
I have an adsl connection with bulldog and im just trying to download the default xp way(no getright or download managers). when the download freezes I can still get web pages to work and, checking in the router, the connection hasn't been dropped.

Anyone help?

Try using one of those download managers. They will enable you to resume the download to finish it. They also allow for multiple threads to a server to get the max connection speed out of your connection.

Poertner made a good point. Like he said you could use a download manager and when the download stops, you could start it again from the place you left off at. That might enable you to be able to finish the download.

I'm kinda curious why it is stopping in the first place though.

Im kinda cautious when it comes to using download managers for important files because I've had a few mess up on me before. Using the default windows way for important stuff works well because it doesnt chop the files up. So Im curious as to why its stopping too.

^^^conrad, joke right?

I'm kinda curious why it is stopping in the first place though.

I am curious as well! I have had the same thing happen to me at work on 1 PC. Then the next one downloads fine. Both running Win2000 on the same type of connection.

Well I know that some places have timeout features connected to their files. This means that you have a certain amount of time to download the file before it cuts you off, this will keep the server from getting overloaded and allow everyone to download withouth haveing to wait forever.

I dont like download managers either.

The best thing to use IMO is FTP software. Install something like flashfxp and paste the URL in, download the file, and resume it if you have any problems.

That will work as well, but I think flashfxp is not the application that they need to be using. That has WAY too much stuff built into it that will just confuse them more than needed.

I suggest using something like CuteFTP or BulletpfroofFTP

That has WAY too much stuff built into it that will just confuse them more than needed.

Oh yeah! Weer too tupid <wipes spit off chin> to use dis pogram.......lol

j/k. No I just called our trustly helpless desk and got a copy of a burnt cd with the new service pack and loaded it that way.

I'm not saying you are too stupid, I just said there is a lot more BS built into that program than the little things you need. I have heard many bad things about it from people who don't use the full list of features available in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back