Prob's recovering data from laptop drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop has given up the ghost (Motherboard).

I decided to recover the data from the HD with an external USB drive box.

My main computer recognises there is new hardware added. It then recognises the type of drive etc.

Unfortunately it then reboots the main computer. This cycle continues until the external drive is disconnected.

The external drive case is fitted with two USB connectors at the computer end of the cable but it makes no difference if one or both are fitted.

Am I missing something?

Jobeard,
having read through your suggested means of extracting the files from my laptop HD, I don't think the solution fits the problem.

My main (desktop) computer continually reboots if I connect the Laptop HD via a USB case.

Is there something I can do on the main (desktop) computer to stop the reboot to allow me to open the laptop HD so I can verify the files are ok and recover them.

I eventually want to use the latop HD as a backup for all my pictures etc.

Gaz

If your desktop is running XP it should detect the external USB storage. If not then try on an XP machine? Try on another PC/laptop? Try another caddy?

sounds like a corrupt USB driver.

first verify that your mouse and keyboard are NOT USB attached and then
uninstall all usb drivers, followed by a reboot. This should allow XP to autodiscover
and install new drivers for you. You should not be rebooting with the attachment
of any USB device -- but you knowthat!

Haven't tried reloading USB driver yet. Short of time.

Out of interest I tried the HD in the USB case again. I have had some problems lately with adware virus's and have upgraded to Norton 360.

Main computer does not reboot now.

Main computer recognises USB HD and it shows up in [CONTROL PANEL : SYSTEM : DEVICES]

However it does not show in MY COMPUTER.

I am using XP by the way.

I found some info that suggests that the USB HD needs to be formatted and partitioned but this will not help me recover the files I want.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Gaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back