Processor making a wierd noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
The noise is a chainy, crickets churping like noise. Its constant while the computer is on, and can be distincly heard when doing specific things. For example, when I display a large image in an AIM window and scroll up and down or when i go into the bois, the noise is a single cling like noise when I tap through the different menus. It seems like an electronic signal noise, happens with more frequency when the processor is working.

Some information I must include: I had a heating problem when I first built the unit. The heatsink was not seated correctly, and the computer ran at times ~90C... yes 90C, but it ran constantly at 70-80 without problem. It ran for a couple days like this because I didn't bother to check the reading the day of install, and went to work with it running. I have sinced fixed the problem, and the CPU now runs at ~50C, maxing out at 60 during intense gaming.

From what I remember, I can remember hearing the noise from day one. What im looking for is some help identifying it. Its probably from the heat, but I want to run it by you guys first.

Computer Specs:
Intel D915PBL Mobo w/ P4 3.4ghz processor
1gb DDR2 Pc4300 ram
250gb sata hd
7800GT PCI-E gfx card

Oh, this is my first post, Hi :)

could be a bearing going bad in your fan. If you have a smart fan, the noise will change frequency as the fan speeds or slows.

its definitely not the fan, as the noise is controlable under both examples i gave in the previous post (bios menu, picture scrolling). Its while the processor is doing something. If the system hangs, the noise ceeses.

Well I haven't experienced everything there is to experience in the world, but one thing I have never heard of is a processor making noise. The reason I say it's impossible (in theory) is because CPUs have no moving parts. Reading your post, the first thing that comes to my mind is the hard drive. If you haven't already, I would take the side panel off of the tower and pinpoint the source of the noise (if it isn't, in fact, the CPU).

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

Cpu's, MoBo's can and do make noises, however there is a more likely source,
a cricket in the case (not the bug). The sounds are comming from very close to the cpu.
Two things come to mind:
From computerbb.org
1.I've read somewhere on another post that the noise *might* be coming from loose windings on a torroid suppressor / choke. Those are the little donut components on circuit boards with copper loops around the donuts. If the core is loose varying current (such as a stream of binary) in its windings can induce vibrating movement in the metal core and cause it to rattle making the scratchy sound. The defective choke can *supposedly* be fixed with a dab of non conducting silcon glue to firmly connect core & windings, though I havn't tried it yet. At your own risk etc.

From gentoo.org
Buzzing noises in devices like this are usually caused by the transformers. If you have opened a power supply before, you've seen them -- they're the round things wrapped in thin copper wire, which surrounds a ferrite core. This copper material is covered with varnish. When this varnish starts to decay, most likely from heat, the metal starts to seperate from the ferrite core, and buzzing results.

Now I dont know if this applies here at all, but if certain ACPI states in the machine reroute current through one of these failing transformers, or change the current moving through one, its possible that this is what is causing the buzz, and why we are able to turn it 'on and off' with software.

I hear that on these transformers, buzz can be fixed by spreading some silicone paste on the surface of the metal wrapping.

Any electrical engineers like to comment on this? Would be nice to have a physical fix to this.
G'Luck

Ah mate i know what you are going through here ! i have the exact same problem and i agree it is not the processor and is something very close to the processor but i do not know what and i do not know how to fix it any suggestions anyone ? i was talking to some one and they said tha it was just normal noise with these new processors but i fail to belive that its very irritating when i scroll and play games ino what ya mean mate:D

Take a Q-tip or the eraser on the end of a pencil and touch around on the coils or other components. See if you can find the source of the noise. It is extremely rare for coils to make noise on motherboards. It's far more common for fans or their vibrations to create this kind of noise...

As for CPU's themselves, I think that sometimes they might vibrate in the socket, at the high operating frequencies they run at. This is not that common either

Check the Northbridge and video card fans too. Are you sure you've got the HSF installed correctly this time? Maybe it's still not seated correctly and vibrating a little(just enough to make a clicking noise).(i.e some harmonic vibration related to fan RPM which is related to CPU load).

F1N3ST said:
Its the hard drive, noting wrong just a loud drive, my comp did this.

If your hard drive is making this kind of noise, start saving your pennies for a new drive... You might back up your data too

Rab2140 started the resurrection. Hope we have been of some help to him. So much for starting new threads ;)

Tmagic650 said:
If your hard drive is making this kind of noise, start saving your pennies for a new drive... You might back up your data too

No it was my old drive doing it, there was never any problem with it (Hitachi not maxtor) Just a loud drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back