Processor setting itself to 1000 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, 1st post.... anyways..

I have a Dell E1705 Inspiron
Dual Core 2.16 GHz Intel processor
2Gb of RAM
and a 256 ATI Radeon Mobile Video card...

Problem is after I log in and try to play a game (or sometimes do nothing) my processor speed will drop to 1000 MHz and it is painfully slow to do anything. I can't think of anything that would cause this. It just "happened" one day when i booted up. Should I re-install windows? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sounds like the Intel SpeedStep to me. It shouldn't be slower though as when more processing power is needed the CPU's speed is set back to its maximum. If the system is constantly slow maybe you have too many things running in memory.

Thanks, I have tried to look into the Speed step thing but it only gives me an option to Enable or disable it on the BIOS, I currently have it enabled and power settings on "Always On". I have noticed that my fans only spin on boot and stop once Windows is loaded. Could the CPU under clock because of this? Thanks again.

I would believe it's the other way around, the fan is not spinning because your CPU is not very hot. Do you have a temperature monitoring software available ? Check to see what your temps are like right after the system is booted up & check again after doing some heavy work/gaming on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back